Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Baby Blanket Pattern with No Holes

Does anyone have some suggestions of a pattern for a baby blanket that does not have the holes and loops that little fingers can get caught in. My DIL is a wonderful person who has very specific ideas about newborns etc. She wants no "holes" in anything around little ones. She has asked me to make a blanket and a cardi for her newest (May 2013). I found an acceptible one for the cardi but can't seem to find one for the blanket. I have seen some pretty afghan stitches that will work, but don't know how to gauge the amount of yarn to use based on maybe a 10 afghan hook. Would like to use a 4 weight yarn as she wants an antique rose color which does not come in baby soft yarns. Any sugguestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance for any help : )

2. Likes cat56, janie mae, Trenarah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    find a simple sc pattern stitches, and that should work for no loops for little fingers, thinking your DIL is probably correct, maybe something knit instead? There surely are plain and simple patterns out there that would be of great help to you. I am sure something will turn up.
    Warmest regards, from Central Wisconsin!,
    Shaddy

4. Likes Anaisa, cat56, janie mae, CarolBoulay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a blanket--same reason. I used Ecru and blue for a boy. I had no pattern. I used soft 4-ply yarn. I made a chain about 36 in. long. insert hook in second chain from hook and make half-double crochet. Half-double crochet in all chains, chain 2 and keep making hdc until piece measures about 35-36 in. I edged the blanket with blue. Actually was so simple. I have seen similar afghan made with verigated yarn using 2 strands of yarn, but I thought it was too heavy.

6. Likes cat56, janie mae, CarolBoulay, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, sc or any stitch that you don't ch in the pattern....I am not very good at math but after making the gauge you should be able to determine the rest.....happy crocheting.

8. Likes janie mae, CarolBoulay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like making them like Phil said. I have done several like that for that same reason. The ones wth holes ate cute but not practical.

10. Likes cat56, janie mae, Trenarah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    you should be able to make the blanket with no more than 2 skeins It probably won't take all of the two skeins but always nice to have it just in case. You could work a shell stitch that lays to one side it is very pretty and doesn't have any holes in it . It is done with sc 2dc same stitch skip 2 and repeat across. ending with a sc in last ch. ch 1 turn and work in the sc st going the other way so the stitches lay over one another.
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

12. Likes cat56, janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Why thank you all, Shaddy, Phyl, Anaisa, luapmerriam and Crocheting4u65. I do have enough yarn in my "stash" and will try probably all the patterns you have provided. I am also
    going to try making one with an afghan hook. It may be a little heavy but if I make it big enough, it should be used for many years rather than just the "newborn" size. I have printed off this page so I can add these ideas to my "baby pattern book". Again, thank you and will post pictures when I get them done. The sweater should be done today or tomorrow but the blankies will take a little longer. Thanks again

14. Likes cat56 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Single crochet was my thought as well...

16. Likes cat56, janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Success with your projects, you are going at this with a light heart, and will make it very lovely gift, made with love!
    Warmest regards, from Central Wisconsin!,
    Shaddy

18. Likes janie mae liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Bubbles Baby Blanket: no holes

Hey,
    I have used a pattern called Bubbles Baby Blanket by Deneen St Amour. It is located on Crochet Pattern Central..
    Basically you can make it any size you like. Chain multiples of 3 plus 2. The pattern stitch is sc/2 dc in same stitch & skip 2 ch for row 1.
    Row 2 is sc/2 dc in sc from previous row. Then you repeat row 2 until it is as large as you want.
    It can be done with 2 strands held together also. It needs no edging. I don't do fringe on baby things because babies put it in their mouths.
    This pattern makes a tight fabric with a low "bubble" like texture. No holes. I have made one for my grandson on the way & for a shower gift. I'll soon be making 2 more for gifts. It works up quickly, too. Hope this is helpful.
    Hugs, Jane

20. Likes kary7x70 liked this post