Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mad several of these blankets for this very reason. I made the first one for a new grandbaby. it is the simplest pattern ever.... you make a chain the length you want then you sc in the first chain from hook then you dc, sc across ending with a dc, chain 1 and turn then repeat..you will always start with a sc and end with a dc...when you get the size you want you can end or I put a 5 cluster scallop edge on all of mine...once I finished the baby and eveyone at the baby shower wanted one. So at this time I have made 5 from baby, throw to a twin size blanket... I used Simply Carron and a size J hook. Hope you will try because you are puting sc in dc and dc in single there are NO holes for little fingers. The Simply Carron is so soft and has a lovely sheen.

2. Likes janie mae liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey,
    I thought of one more thing you could that might work. Why not adapt a Jacob's Ladder down to baby size? My daughter is expecting & Pottery Barn Kids has this "stroller blanket" for sale on line. It is light weight knit, not very big, made over seas. The colors are not feminine at all, unless you want off white. These have the cable in them. They were $59.50 but are now on clearance for $22.99. I figure that's still too much. They aren't cashmere or angora. Check them out & see what you think. A solid colored Jacobs Ladder in a baby size might fit the "no holes" request & be a great knock off of this expensive blanket.
    Hugs, Jane

Post Thanks / Like
    that is what I call a laying down shell stitch but I like the bubbles because they do bubble up
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

Post Thanks / Like
    I love to use the shell stitch for baby blankets. But they look best for a girl. I often just mix different stitches together to make my own. You can try that.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a wonderful booklet out there called "Love Me Tender Baby Afghans" by Anne Halliday, published by Leisure Arts that has just what you are looking for...particularly #4, "Snuggly Hearts" on pages 11-13. You , also, might want to look through Annie's Crochet "Hearts Delight Baby Layettes" by Michelle Crean (Blanket is particularly pretty); Leisure Arts "Snuggle Up Baby Afghans" by Carole Rutter Tippett (several w/ no holes or loops, etc.); and/or Leisure Arts "Contest Favorites Baby Afghans"..."Baby Blocks" on pages 31-33 (a great way to use up scrap yarn). Hope this helps> Baby afghans are my favorite thing to crochet. They are aways appreciated and are very "therapeutic" to make. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made the bubble blanket also...so cute!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Carol, I make car seat blankets and use a pattern of a single crochet then a double crochet. then on coming back on the second row Double crochets in the single and singles in the doubles. It can be heavy if you use double strands of baby yarn or light weight using a single strand. I am making one right out of 4 ply. I usually do a couple rows of the same Stitches around the edge. I have sold 6 of them so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Texas transplant. I might just try that one after I finish the one I am making. I decided to make up my own pattern of garter stitch and blocks of 20 knit then 3 garter than 20 knit then 3 garter for about 25 rows. Then I do 6 rows of garter then go back to the block pattern. I was hoping to do crochet but ended up with knit/purl. It is coming out quite cute and will post when finished. I am about half done right now. Thanks for the suggestion and will try it next. I have 8 grandchildren (almost) so will be making lots more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bernat 'Softee Baby' comes in a beautiful rose color (Soft Red 30424) and works up soooo nicely.