Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

need suggestion for baby blanket....dilemma

Hi all....I'm in a bit of a dilemma here and need some input. One of my co-workers daughter is having her first child, and it's a girl. Here's the problem I'm having.....the colors that she wants are ....ready? red, black and white....I know, weird huh? Sooooo, I'm just not sure what route to take and am looking for suggestions for patterns and any other ideas that might help with this. I was just going to do a simple baby-color (blue, pink and yellow) blanket. Maybe crochet with all three strands together? Do a strip afghan, alternating colors? Or a chevron one with alternating rows of color? Help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are my personal favorite colors for clothes but never heard them used ina baby's room but first thing I think is zebra stripe with red border. I have no idea if there is a pattern for this but my first thought. I think I saw a tic tac toe afghan in those colors and it was for kids. Probably no help but of course you can always do a zigzag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Trishajohn,
    There is a free pattern with photo for Zebra Newborn Blanket on Ravelry. It is black and white stripes with pink border and pink flower. I am attempting making this for great granddaughter who arrives in April. I have just started but doesn't seem difficult. Hope this helps

4. Likes trishajohn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or, you can include something with red hearts in it - maybe she is doing her room in primary colors to include mainly red, white, and black. It is different, but maybe she did not want to be traditionally like everyone else.

6. Likes trishajohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the mom just likes those colors, don't even think about the baby, what does she care? They want dry diapers, warm milk and lots of cuddling, never mind the color of the blankets, etc.
    I am sure something nice could be worked out in those colors, go to a shop, and lay out the colors somewhere, looking at what goes well with what, and then duplicate the rows. It doesn't have to have a pattern IN the blanket, the colors will provide that. throw in a skein of white to tone down the whole thing, and good to go.
    Warmest regards, from Central Wisconsin!,
    Shaddy

8. Likes trishajohn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG! you guys are just amazing! Thank you so very much! Especially Ophelia's heads up on the zebra blanket! That's exactly what I'm going to do, just substitute the pink for red and I'm good to go! Wooo Hooo! I'm really looking forward to making this now!

10. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trishajohn View Post
    OMG! you guys are just amazing! Thank you so very much! Especially Ophelia's heads up on the zebra blanket! That's exactly what I'm going to do, just substitute the pink for red and I'm good to go! Wooo Hooo! I'm really looking forward to making this now!
    we want to see picture when done...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to suggest rows of shell stitches or the lay down shell (sc 2dc same st) skip 2 and repeat across ending with a sc in last st then work the same the other way it is a very nice pattern
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

Post Thanks / Like
    You are welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    ****we want to see picture when done...****

You got it! Buying the yarn this weekend!
    Last edited by trishajohn; 02-15-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: left off quote