Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    kath1145,
    Did I tell you how bad I was in math, lol. I will probably have to get my husband to help me there; he is terrific in any type of math problem!! I really appreciate your reply and I will see if I can follow along with your suggestions. I will be starting a new hat pattern soon so we will see!!! Thanks again for your reply. I just printed it out to keep with me when I am crocheting!

Post Thanks / Like
    To all that have sent answered my plea for hat patterns, I thank you so much. This forum is wonderful, warm and so friendly; so glad I came across it too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Helster, a lot of ladies use the next size larger hook to make the first set of chain stitches for say a cap, then they switch to the one that gives them the right gauge, say the patterns calls for a G hook for the whole cap, and you used an H hook for the chain to start the cap, then went back to the G hook for the rest of the cap, cuz it gave you the right gauge. Sometimes it is larger or smaller, you just have to use your own results as models, and just cuz the directions say it should be that way, not necessarily the way it HAS to be, crochet is flexible, as is knitting, whatever suits the person is key. Just have fun, and don't sweat the small stuff, you will be cranking out caps, etc., left and right soon, I just have the feelings you need some confidence, and it will come. Take care?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Shaddy, you have given me some very good advice. I think after making three caps that were too small I was about to give up and my confidence in making one that fits was not good. I am going to take your advice and have fun.....after all, I can rip it out and start over, right??? I appreciate your information. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do like to start at the brim of the hat, instead of the top. That way, I can be sure it fits from the beginning. You can always change the patterns to just plain crochet stitches instead of the patterns. That way, NO MATH....yea. Of course, the hats are a little more boring that way. Anyway...have fun and MAKE HATS.

Post Thanks / Like
    chain 40 (45) using an "I" crochet hook and single crochet back and forth til your piece is approx 20 inches long........with darning needle, sew ends together to form cap and pull one end together with darning needle and yarn to form top of cap........

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! I love the insight from experienced crocheters!! Yawl are awesome!! Now, if I only understood what yawl said, LOLOL Kiddingggggggggggg I actually understood MOST of it and had to look up what fpdc and bpdc stood for, LOL