Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gcgrammy View Post
    Hello:

This may seem odd, but I want to crochet a classic ripple afghan and I have 8 skeins of one color, and 5 each of two others...I can't quite figure out how to start this using what I have, as my yarn is discontinued. Can anyone help? Thank you very much!
    Thank you for your response! I like the patterns you show, but what I meant to say is that I'm trying to find a crochet ripple that will use up all or most of the yarn I have, with the 8-skein color using more....in other words, bigger sections with that color and smaller or narrower sections with the other colors. I would start and end with the color I have most of. Does that help? Thank you and anyone for help figuring this out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

You can really take any afghan and create the color scheme you desire. Normally, the amount of yarn used will be determined by your guage and the pattern requirements. Here are some helpful articles on how to estimate yarn needed:

How to Estimate the Yarn for a Crochet Project | eHow.com

How to Figure out How Many Skeins of Yarn for an Afghan? | eHow.com

Different types of yarn will have different amounts in yards.

Post Thanks / Like
    gcgrammy, i was given two skeins of redharts camo and one skein of black, I had a green that went well with it and I went to "handcraftingwithlove.net" and used Susan B. basic ripple design. I choose a 130 chain patteren because I knew I only want a small one but they have more stiches if you are makeing one for an adult. I hope this helps. There are a lot of sites for ripple today. AKA zig zag, amd wave. I can't wait to see what you decide!
    Good stiches
    Billie

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you ladies - I will try and use the susan b and judge how to change it - will keep you informed! Thank you again

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi gcgrammy! I understand what you are asking! I think what you have to do is figure out how much yarn it takes to make one row. Divide that into the yardage of your whole skein of yarn, that way you will know how many rows you will get from i skein of yarn. Then you should be able to figure out how wide each row of a specific color should be! I hope you are good at math-I know how to do it but I don't know that I could do it! I really hope you can understand what I'm saying! And I hope it helps! Good luck!

6. Likes thehippyhooker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryjane View Post
    Hi gcgrammy! I understand what you are asking! I think what you have to do is figure out how much yarn it takes to make one row. Divide that into the yardage of your whole skein of yarn, that way you will know how many rows you will get from i skein of yarn. Then you should be able to figure out how wide each row of a specific color should be! I hope you are good at math-I know how to do it but I don't know that I could do it! I really hope you can understand what I'm saying! And I hope it helps! Good luck!
    I guess I would crochet a row the size I want the width of the afghan to be, and then unravel it and measure how many yards it is? Then I would divide that by the yardage on the label right?

Post Thanks / Like
    This may seem odd, but I want to crochet a classic ripple afghan and I have 8 skeins of one color, and 5 each of two others...I can't quite figure out how to start this using what I have, as my yarn is discontinued. Can anyone help? Thank you very much!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................

if I'm not mistaken..you have 18 skeins of yarn...how many ounces in each skeins?

Post Thanks / Like
    3.5 ... discontinued bernat yearn

Post Thanks / Like
    Measure how much yarn you have in yards for your stripes in Step 3. Use a yarn calculator to find yardage of skeins if you don't know it.
    Try this:
    1. Lay out your yarns in a sequence that appeals to you. If you have partial skeins, you may want to combine some to get about the same yarn as in the other skeins.
    2. Decide on how large or small you want the color repeats given the yarn you have.
    3. When you change colors, make the loop of the turning chain with the new color.
    You may have to fudge the color changes a little to get the stripes even; or
    you may want or have to make the stripes uneven in size.
    You may want to make a small sample to decide about stripe depth. Frog it when you've decided. The sequence of colors may be: Color A , color B [the color you have the most of], Color C, Color B, Repeat
    4. Start. Here's a formula to make an easy SC Ripple:
    CHAIN: # sts UP, 1 APEX st, # sts DOWN, 2 STS [these will not be worked],for the width desired, 1 turning chain.
    WORK: *# sts UP, 3 sts in APEX st, # sts DOWN, Skip 2 sts, Repeat from * across. Ch 1, Turn.
    If you want less joining and ends to weave in later, carry the unused color up the sides, working the last st at the color change with the new color.

QUOTE=gcgrammy;18449]Hello:

This may seem odd, but I want to crochet a classic ripple afghan and I have 8 skeins of one color, and 5 each of two others...I can't quite figure out how to start this using what I have, as my yarn is discontinued. Can anyone help? Thank you very much![/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Dsynr; 07-27-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Clarity of instructions

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!