Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet for Charity

Hello, I do a lot of crochet sweater sets and little dresses and booties for our local hospital gift shop. I was wondering if anyone had any tried and true free patterns that are quick to make up and are small, (new born) size they want. This is one I just finished. Crochet for Charity-born-sweater-set-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    A beautiful set, for sure! You do wonderful work. Do you sell your items in the hospital gift shop?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I just donate them to the gift shop and they sell them and use the money to buy need hospital equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a very sweet thing you do, BC Girl. I have a ton of baby blankets I've crocheted. I've thought about donating some of them to the hospital for the parents who've lost their babies. It'd be a keepsake for them, something they could take home. They're too big for the NICU, most are 28-30 inches across.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a group that collect and give them to new moms that can't afford a lot of baby items. I'm sure there is a charity out there that could use them for sure. You have a good heart and it will lead you to a charity in need with your baby blankets.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great idea Shelley!!! My daughter was almost full term with her first baby but he died before birth so she had to go through labor and delivery and was devastated I'm sure she would have loved this idea. A friend makes dolls and she made one just for Laura's granddaughter ALL PINK I ordered it for Ava's birthday but when her Nana passed away I gave it to her at the funeral home and told her that was her special doll to love when she thought about nana she has it with her all the time!! I think I might try doing something like this for charity when I can get back to it. Love you Winnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shelley: I make afghans for Project Linus and they give quilts and afghans to hospitals and Red Cross etc. They would be delighted to have your afghans, any size. Just check on line for Project Linus. Last year our group gave about 3000 to PL. Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    That's a very sweet thing you do, BC Girl. I have a ton of baby blankets I've crocheted. I've thought about donating some of them to the hospital for the parents who've lost their babies. It'd be a keepsake for them, something they could take home. They're too big for the NICU, most are 28-30 inches across.

Shelley
    Hi Shelley,

I've been making baby blankets for years for The Linus Project. The blankets go to babies in the hospital. They also accept bigger blankets for sick teenagers. If you don't have a chapter near you, I'm sure you can find them on the internet. Or start your own chapter in your neck of the woods with your crocheting and knitting friends. They take quilts, too. The rules are pretty simple. No holey blankets - holes catch little fingers and toes. No wool - allergies. No fringe or tassels - babies will suck on anything. Blankets must be washable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Girl View Post
    Hello, I do a lot of crochet sweater sets and little dresses and booties for our local hospital gift shop. I was wondering if anyone had any tried and true free patterns that are quick to make up and are small, (new born) size they want. This is one I just finished. Crochet for Charity-born-sweater-set-jpg
    What a beautiful little set! Love the hat! Have you tried Ravelry? I've printed out tons of free patterns from that site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Loved reading everyone's posts! It has inspired me to think of what I can donate with my afghans and quilts that are taking up space!