Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Coned Yarn

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Coned Yarn

Hello All-
    Maybe some can help me with suggestions-I recently received a HUGE garbage bag full of very fine coned yarn. I haven't seen yarn this way before so I am looking for patterns/ideas what to do with all this yarn. Suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a large 'throw' afghan out of some cone yarn (that I got a good deal on). It worked up really well, actually. Sorry, I don't think I have any info on the type of yarn that it was, but it was a blend. Coned Yarn-afghan-cone-yarn-003-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillygaloo View Post
    I made a large 'throw' afghan out of some cone yarn (that I got a good deal on). It worked up really well, actually. Sorry, I don't think I have any info on the type of yarn that it was, but it was a blend. Coned Yarn-afghan-cone-yarn-003-jpg
    What a beauty your afghan is! I don't know far each cone will go and each cone I have is a different color. Each cone is very fine, almost like thread.

4. Thanks Gillygaloo, Susan2014 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to ask where I can purchase cone yarn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auntwanna View Post
    Sorry I don't know where to purchase this (try a Google search???). The yarn I have was from a friend whose mother had it but she has died now so the friend was passing it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can double strand it. I have a yarn winder and wind it so far take it off winder the put the 2 strand together and wind in a ball, you can do this for what ever thickness you want, I have a lot of cone yarn and do this, was originally bought to use on knitting machines (which I still have) you can use it for lace type shawls and is pretty, and doilies.

8. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auntwanna View Post
    Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce I have also seen on ebay

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been so long ago, that I don't know where I bought mine.. but it was probably online.. in fact I'm sure of it.

11. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just googled it.. and found a few listed, included JoAnn Fabrics and Yarn.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used coned yarn that was given to me (other than the cotton yarn which is worsted) and on the donated yarn, it was a little thinner so I added a strand of worsted and did scarves and hats. You can always do a little swatch using worsted to see how it works up and then decide if you need to add more strands for the thickness, again, depending on your project.

That was really nice of her to give you the yarn.

Roe