Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for help to make a feather.

I found this old doily mounted on a brass ring that is of feathers. Is there anyone who could break down the types of stitches used? I would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Here is a picture of it.
    Attachment 8926Attachment 8927

2. Thanks suneebeeches thanked for this post
    Likes debbbarr, suneebeeches liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone beside me have problems with crowns of hats? I never come out with the proper number of stitches although I am following a pattern - ??

Post Thanks / Like
    You know I gave up making hats they just don't come out right, same problem. Now I don't feel alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Marlamartin, I have made doilies and stretched it out on a ring . We called them SunCatchers. This one is very pretty . I found some rings for 8 in. ones but No directions for a doily. We hung them on the porch where they would catch the breeze and turn around I think JoAnn's had the rings. They make a nice gift for someone that does a lot of decorated things . Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    SUNCATCHERS!!!!!! WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!! Thanks for new project!!!!!! debbbbarr from Southeast Texas
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to know how to make crochet feathers, both in doilies for what we here in Texas call "Dreamcatchers" to catch bad dreams. (They work for me!!!) I'd also like to know how to create realistic looking feathers from yarn. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. debbbarr from Southeast Texas
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States.....

8. Thanks marlamartin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some resources for making feathers. Hope you can use the information:

How to Crochet Feathers & Fans | eHow

Post Thanks / Like
    You could use a leaf pattern ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you but I have no problem finding the rings, I just need someone who can suggest what stiches I could use to try and recreate this doily. I'm sure I'll never find a pattern so it would have to be a one of a kind creation. Someone did it so I want to do it too. I just finished a Sun Catcher for my granddaughter's graduation gift, this was done by crochet. I found that crocheting it was easier to change colors. Attachment 8937 She loves purple and bright pink. I found charms to attach to the web, an "N" for her name, a musical note for her love of playing the flute, a graduation hat and a couple of small silver feathers.

12. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks to me like this: start with a ch 12 , sl st to make a ring. Work 32dcs in the ring. 2nd round do dc in 1 skip 1 for 16dcs. 3rd round, ch 7and sc in 2nd ch from hook, and in the next ch, hdc in the next 2chs , dcs in the last 3 chs , sl st in the next dc on the ring. Repeat for all 16 dcs to make 16 'spokes' . Fasten off thread. Attach thread (or yarn) to tip end of a spoke, ch 4, dc in same st on tip , ( this is a beginning v-stitch) ch 6 ,do a dc, ch1 dc (v-stitch) on the tip of the next spoke, repeat for all spokes. Sl st to beginning 3ch top .Round 4 sl st to v-stitch space, do beginning v-stitch, ch 3, sc around the previous 6 ch, ch 3. Do a v-stitch in the next v-stitch ch 1space., and repeat , gradually increasing the number of chs between. ( rnds 45and6are probably 3 chs and the next 3rnds are 4 chs . Those are the stitches i see . Hope this helps.Love the dreamcatcher you described!
    Last edited by Kitty; 05-22-2014 at 04:19 PM.

14. Thanks marlamartin thanked for this post