Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking to do a craft fair several years ago, but besides the table fee, they required insurance. Have any of you encountered an insurance requirement? If you have or have obtained insurance, how do you go about getting insurance for a craft fair?

2. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is something to ponder - doing craft shows. It is easier if you aren't doing it alone then you can take a break and there will still be someone to watch your space. I decided years ago that if I at least made enough money to cover the cost of the space and the cost of my materials, then I considered that day a success. When you are doing crafts, you seldom get paid for your time. I initially tried to price my jewelry (my craft at the time) by cost of items and $1.00 an hour for my time. Because each piece I make is different, I don't do an assembly like type of work and I quickly realized in this area that people are not willing to pay your prices if you add your time. So I never time myself when I'm making anything whether it's jewelry, crocheting, knitting or creative items (like wreaths, etc.) The best advice I can give you would be, if you don't try it, you'll never know the possibilities. You can learn a lot just listeniing to what people are saying when they are looking at your items. Make sure your friendship is more important than a craft show if you decide to share a space. Good Luck. HUGS, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never heard of requiring insurance. Is it a "juried" craft fair? I think I would ask what kind of insurance is required before I declined to reserve a table. At least then you would know for the next time you are interested in doing a craft fair and are told you need insurance. I have heard of a business license as a requirement but that was only for "juried" shows which is a pretty big step up from doing a craft show in a local fire hall. Sure hope I didn't make that more confusing for you but I've never heard of needing insurance. hhhhmmmm
    HUGS, Shelly

Post Thanks / Like
    The insurance required was liability insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess in case anyone got hurt at your specific table. I guess here in PA the places that have craft shows already have liability insurance because all the fire halls and other places have other events to raise money to keep themselves open. I am glad to pay the fire companies what they ask per table for a craft show because without our volunteer fire companies, we'd be seriously up the creek without a paddle if we didn't have these great volunteers dropping everything at a moments notice to run to help put out a fire or help at an accident, etc.
    Just me on this decision but I wouldn't pay for liability insurance for a craft show....I'd never sell enough to pay for the insurance. Have a good day,SCNick Knack
    HUGS, Shelly

7. Likes buggainok, DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Shelly. I did a few craft shows a couple of year ago, and none of them required insurance. They were held in churches and schools, and I am sure the facilities had their own insurance to cover any events they had there for the public.

The booth rents here in Oklahoma City ranged from $25 for a small show in a church, to as much as $50 to $65 for the larger events. I did pretty well at the smaller shows, since my booth rent was lower. I didn't even make enough to pay the rent at the $65 show, which was an annual affair, had been held for years and years, and was supposed to draw lots of people. Don't know what happened, but no one sold much at that show.

I enjoyed doing the fairs, because I had always wanted to. However, it was not worth it to me to sacrifice all my time during the holiday season for so little actual profits. Like Shelly, I didn't even really count my time to make the items which at the time were papercraft, cards, and altered items. By the time I counted the booth rent, my gas to get there and back, and maybe buying my lunch, I didn't make diddley even if my sales were pretty good!

People still see things I've made and say, "Oh you should sell those."

I tell them I've decided now I work for love, not for money, lol. I give the things I make as gifts to friends and family.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

9. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bugga....you said it all so perfectly
    I did a craft show yesterday and did ok. I sold a lot of the ruffled scarves, the same as the last craft show. If I didn't love making them, I'd never make enough for a craft show. I still have lots left with plans to give some as Christmas gifts along with the infinity scarves I've made and a few other things. I actually made wreaths using the ruffled scarves attached to a metal wreath frame. I was amazed how beautiful they can be and totally different from any other wreaths at the craft show. I must be too old to do these any more because I am still exhausted but I do everything by myself and it takes a lot out of me. Besides, I'm going through enough emotional stuff right now, I just don't have anything left over except PRAYERS, LOVE and HUGS for ya'll, Shelly

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a lot of craft fairs years ago, but with working it was hard to make enough to do them after awhile. I had fun doing them, and enjoyed talking to all the people too. People were nicer back then. Before the show I would walk around to see what other people had crocheted. Some people did some very sloppy work, I guess to have quantity, not quality. But most had beautiful things. I did very well at the shows. Now that I'm retired I have more time to build my stock. Craft shows are very big in my area, and I would like to do one again. Last year I went to a craft show and I noticed that people seem to be more rude. I heard people saying not so nice things about something they were looking at. Gees, if they don't like something then they should just move along and keep their thoughts to themselves. I volunteer at our local animal shelter, and we had a craft show. I didn't sell but I did help run it. All the items we had were donated so all the money went for the animals. We had so much fun and we sold everything! It helped the shelter a lot, since they operate on donations only. It was a show worth doing.

12. Likes seashells_Shelly, DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I commend you on your dedication to the "lost animals". I have found that since the big economic crash, people are not buying things at craft shows like they did before. I noticed a huge difference on how well I did before the economic debacle to what I am doing now. I agree that people seem to be more rude and some are downright nasty. You said it right that they should just keep their thoughts to themselves and move along. Our local shelter used to do a craft show to benefit the shelter and they always did pretty good. HUGS, Shelly

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been volunterring at the shelter now for 6 1/2 years. We are a smaller shelter, and yes, there have been dogs that I've gotten attached to. But, sad as I am to see them get adopted because I miss them, I am also happy that they now have a home. I am crazy about dogs. I have one of my own, but he doesn't like other dogs or God only knows how many I would have by now. We have been getting dogs from people who have lost their homes, and can't find apartments that will let them have a pet. So the economy has effected them too. I love this site because of all the friendly people who have an interest in crocheting like I do. It's nice to meet you Shelly!

15. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post