Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Well, we do share a common habit....and that's crocheting a little too tightly. I'm usually good at the beginning, but as my hand gets tired the stitches sometimes get tighter. My backup plan was to combine the Homespun with another yarn (an eyelash type) and knit a scarf. I may still do that because I still have a large skein left. I too am self-taught in knitting as well. It's nice to have both a crochet and knitting project going at the same time so you can switch between to two.

I only use one stitch for my scarves (knit) because it's the easiest on my fingers and wrist. I'm not even going to mention how it goes fast and makes for a feeling of quick accomplishment!! Our church had a recent "Harvest Blessing Craft Sale" and I sold all of my 12 scarves and 11 crocheted ribbon necklaces. Surprisingly, I sold one of my handmade dolls as well. All of my sales helped raise money to send to Haiti where we support a school. The children come to school with no breakfast and then have nothing for lunch, so I was thrilled to be a part of the effort.

(We're taking up a monetary collection for the disaster relief in the Philipines soon too.) So many are in need.

Thanks for your thoughts and kind support,

Dottie

2. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All! Dottie, if you haven't knitted with the Homespun yet, and only used it for crochet projects, you will be amazed at how much easier it is to knit with than it is to crochet with. You will probably decide to use up all the remaining Homespun you have on knitting projects. Have fun.
    "We cannot do any great things. We can do only small things with great love."
    Mother Theresa

4. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

stitches for Homespun Yarn

I found a wonderful website that have various stitches where you don't crochet into the top of a stitch, making it easy to work with boucle type yarns - Crocheted Patterns

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dottie,

I love the softness and colors of Homespun, but I don't think it holds up very well. I find that after several washings, it starts to look a little "ratty". Some yarns, including Homespun, are harder to work with than others, and I find myself "feeling" rather than looking for the next place to insert my hook. This is also the case with eyelash and dark yarns - you just have to "feel" your way through it. I make lots of hats and scarves for my grandchildren, but never with Homespun, as it frays in pompons for the caps and gets even worse when used as scarf fringe. However, my fave "nap blanket" is one I made of Homespun - nobody ever sees it but my husband -and it is incredibly soft and warm. You might try crocheting using more light, even daylight, to help you see the openings for your hook. Best of luck!!
    Last edited by Lindahoneybee; 11-23-2013 at 06:17 PM.

7. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb H. View Post
    I found a wonderful website that have various stitches where you don't crochet into the top of a stitch, making it easy to work with boucle type yarns - Crocheted Patterns
    Thank you Deb!!! I've already found some interesting patterns there! Hugs, Dinah
    Dinah

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahoneybee View Post
    Hi Dottie,

I love the softness and colors of Homespun, but I don't think it holds up very well. I find that after several washings, it starts to look a little "ratty". Some yarns, including Homespun, are harder to work with than others, and I find myself "feeling" rather than looking for the next place to insert my hook. This is also the case with eyelash and dark yarns - you just have to "feel" your way through it. I make lots of hats and scarves for my grandchildren, but never with Homespun, as it frays in pompons for the caps and gets even worse when used as scarf fringe. However, my fave "nap blanket" is one I made of Homespun - nobody ever sees it but my husband -and it is incredibly soft and warm. You might try crocheting using more light, even daylight, to help you see the openings for your hook. Best of luck!!
    I agree that the Homespun doesn't "wear" well. I made an afghan for my daughter-in-law and it started out looking lovely. But it got really bad looking with use. It was still soft, but you wouldn't want company to see it lying on your sofa.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some homespun yarn...quite a bit actually. I have been trying to figure out something to make with it and I guess it will be an afghan. I too have trouble seeing the stitches and have just been shoving it to the back burner for a while now. Maybe it won't be so bad if I just make it for myself.
    Dinah

Post Thanks / Like
    I am feeling so relieved! I too struggled with Homespun when crocheting it. Moved to knitting and finally after the first ball of yarn, got it! The stitches split and split and split...Thought I had a stitch but added...don't think I am going to try that again. Do like the idea of adding another companion yarn..makes sense! It's a beautiful yarn and finally, makes up wonderfully! xxxo