Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How Loose is "Loosely?"

When a pattern says to crochet the starting chain "loosely" how do you determine how loose to do it?

I would think the answer would depend on whether the writer of the pattern is usually a tight crocheter or tends to crochet loosely to begin with.

Starting chain and the turning chains, especially the turn ch 3 ones, are bugabears to me. I haven't mastered the art of being able to maintain the correct tension through the pattern, regardless of how I much I practice by making swatches. (or even in the starting chain.) Oh woe is me. LOL!

So, y'all, how do you interpret chaining "loosely"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Poinciana, that is an excellent question. And I think you are right that it depends on how tightly or loosely you crochet your stitches to begin with. I do think that the more you crochet, the more you develop an even tension. People that I have taught to crochet tend to crochet really tightly at first, maybe because they are concentrating so hard, lol. I had one friend that actually broke an acrylic crochet hook that I had given her to start out with. She said she thought she had better stick with metal because she gripped the hook so tightly!

When it says chain loosely, I just try to chain a little looser than I normally do. My normal tension is inclined to be more toward tight than loose, though, I think. And, now that you mention it, I think I probably unconsciously make my chain-3 turns a little tighter, since they stick out on the end.

I don't make clothing because of the gauge factor and how it affects the size of what you are crocheting. I don't have a lot of patience to do gauge swatches, and mostly avoid it by crocheting things where gauge doesn't matter much, like scarves and afghans.

I notice we all approach this hobby so differently. I am in awe of people who like a challenge and do those complicated, every-row-different patterns.

I'm at the point in my life where I've had enough challenges, and just want to make something that looks nice, is easy and fun to crochet, and that I'm not embarrassed to give to someone!
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

3. Likes MeerKat, Dustygirl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to crochet tighter than my mother does, but I can forge anyone's crochet to finish a project, lol. I would say that Annette has the answer for you there. Just crochet a little looser than you normally would. A little curious though...are you supposed to crochet on both sides of the starting chain maybe? I've found that making the chain a little looser works best for that. Hugs!
    Dinah

Post Thanks / Like
    buggainok, I agree with you. Life is enough challenge for me I don't need a challenge when I am doing something that reaxes me.
    Hats and scarves are all the challenge I need. I think back to some of the things I use to make and wonder how I did it.
    Lot of time the beginning chain they say to crochet loose. I just use a larger hook then I switch to the Size it suggests, if it call for an I hook I use a J hook for the chain.
    Last edited by MeerKat; 11-14-2013 at 09:59 PM.

6. Likes buggainok, DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip about using a larger hook for the beginning chain, MeerKat. I had forgotten about that, and do it sometimes, especially if my project calls for a long chain.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

8. Likes MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There are times I tend to crochet a bit looser to begin with, so I just try not to think about it and just chain as normal. If I see the chain is longer than it really should be, I just frog and rechain. I think what they mean is not to make the chs too tight, sometimes it depends on the stitch being used. I tend to try and keep an even tension.

LI Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to suggest the bigger hook plan also. I have to remember that when I am doing chains. Because of my crocheting a little tighter than it should be, I have found that I have to use a hook that is 2 sizes larger than called for in the pattern. Even then, it does not always come out exactly how I wanted it. Oh well, still have lots of enjoyment with crocheting.

11. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and these ladies are all right its you to find what works for you. meerkat does what i do goes to next size most time. depends
    what your doing too. Good luck Susan MJ

Post Thanks / Like
    The way I do it, if the pattern calls for a US size G hook, I use a US size I hook to crochet the chain, then switch to the G hook for the actual pattern. I use my normal tension when crocheting like this. This method is also very useful for when you are crocheting large, row items {such as afghans, even baby afghans}, and in the round it is useful when you are crocheting something such as gloves where you would start at the wrist, that way it ends up being a bit more stretchy instead of too tight a fit.

14. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    3catlady, that is all that matters if you enjoy crocheting. If you worry to much about it it isn't fun anymore.

16. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post