Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Post Thanks / Like
    I also think that you should crochet in the actual spaces between double crochets. Otherwise, wouldn't it say that you should crochet in the stitch? I love the pattern and especially the colors. Good luck with your project.

Donna

2. Likes N/A, buggainok, mflyman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, everyone. I'm so thankful for all the comments. I agree . . . the directions are written rather poorly. I've never seen sp used to indicated a type of stitch before. It should read to dc in each dc across the row.

I made a swatch and worked the dc's in each dc across. I intended to take a photo of the swatch to show how it looks. Hey, I'll do that tomorrow and post it here. (I made the swatch with a yarn that shows it clearly...not that nutty yarn I was going to use and which I'll use a substitute yarn to make the shawl.)

Y'all are the BEST! Your replies and suggestions are very much appreciated!

4. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked at the pattern and it says in parentheses to dc between the stitches.

6. Likes mflyman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    I just looked at the pattern and it says in parentheses to dc between the stitches.
    That's great that she added the clarification. I just looked, and found that the gal saw my question about it in the comments section. Here is what she replied:

JenniferNovember 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Hi there, thanks for your question! So sorry if I was a bit unclear, you're absolutely right, I mean to work a dc in between each dc from the previous row.Please let me know if you have any other questions, I would love to see your finished shawl too!

Oh and I added that detail to the pattern so it may be more understandable to others as well. Thanks again for pointing this out, I appreciate it!

I also added the verbiage to row 4 as well...hope that is more helpful!"
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

8. Likes mflyman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
    That's great that she added the clarification. I just looked, and found that the gal saw my question about it in the comments section. Here is what she replied:

JenniferNovember 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Hi there, thanks for your question! So sorry if I was a bit unclear, you're absolutely right, I mean to work a dc in between each dc from the previous row.Please let me know if you have any other questions, I would love to see your finished shawl too!

Oh and I added that detail to the pattern so it may be more understandable to others as well. Thanks again for pointing this out, I appreciate it!

I also added the verbiage to row 4 as well...hope that is more helpful!"
    WOW and double wow! You are a winner, Bugga. Your efforts are appreciated and now I'm inspired to go ahead and make it with the Homespun. I've come to realize that working with Homespun is much easier when working into spaces rather than stitches!

I did that swatch working into the dc's and took the photo this morning... it looks okay, too. I don't know how to post a photo yet or I would put it here.

Okay, all, perhaps I'll start this project again, lol!

And to repeat...many, many thanks to everyone who responded to my dilemma.
    Last edited by Poinciana; 11-11-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: misspelled I'll.

10. Likes buggainok, mflyman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    WOW and double wow! You are a winner, Bugga. Your efforts are appreciated and now I'm inspired to go ahead and make it with the Homespun. I've come to realize that working with Homespun is much easier when working into spaces rather than stitches!

I did that swatch working into the dc's and took the photo this morning... it looks okay, too. I don't know how to post a photo yet or I would put it here.

Okay, all, perhaps I'll start this project again, lol!

And to repeat...many, many thanks to everyone who responded to my dilemma.
    You're welcome. It is a lovely shawl, and now other people won't be confused like we all were, lol.

I've about given up on using Homespun yarn. It does come in some beautiful colorways, but I just have too much trouble seeing where my hook should go. I made an afghan with it several years ago, and it looked pretty good, even though I know I missed stitches here and there. I've also found that the Homespun doesn't "wear well". It seems to pill up pretty quickly in the finished item. Good luck with your shawl!

PS at the top of the forum there is a button that says "Need Help." It has some tips for how to post pictures, links, etc.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

12. Likes mflyman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did it! I put a picture on my avatar! and a picture on my profile page.

14. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Poinciana,

I went to the site and looked at the shawl. I appears clear to me that you should crochet between the dc. I have done things that have used that method, but it doesn't usually refer to them as spaces, though I have seen it where the pattern said "the space between the dc in the previous row". That is what I see in the picture though. Good luck on your project!

Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    I have a lovely pattern, "Mulberry Shawl" designed by Jennifer Dickerson; I have some lovely yarn and the burning desire to make it.

The yarn drives me up the wall, but I can get over that. I finally, after several attempts, got the chain and first row of the foundation done... not anywhere near perfect, but acceptable.

Then bingo... Row 1 has me stymied and I don't have a clue what to do.

Instructions:
    Chain 34
    Foundation Row: dc in the 4th ch from hook, 1 dc in each chain across row.

Row 1. Ch 3 and turn. dc in first space and each sp to end of row.

What space? Does it mean between the dc's? OR do I dc in the top of the dc's in the foundation row?

Is it alright to provide a link to the page the pattern and photos of the shawl are on? I will and if it's not allowed I understand.

Fiber Flux...Adventures in Stitching: Free Crochet Pattern...Mulberry Shawl!

Thank you in advance for anything that will clarify this for me!
    "We cannot do any great things. We can do only small things with great love."
    Mother Theresa