Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  166
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: Do You Like Getting Older?

A friend sent this to me in email. I thought I would share it with those of us who are young of heart, but not years:

The Question: DO YOU LIKE GETTING OLDER???

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play, on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 & 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will. I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon, if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things. Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver. As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it). MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART!
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Annette: I love that! So heartfelt and true!!!! I definitely would not go back. I too like who I am and what I am doing! I can say NO and not feel guilty (well maybe just a little)!! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Shirley

3. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel so much better about myself at an older age. I do not really worry too much about what people think. I have also learned to not allow others to use me as a doormat - something I had issues with when I was younger.

I must say that I am having the BEST YEARS of my LIFE right NOW!! :0) I have even recently fallen in love with a special person - REALLY fallen in love!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Barbara G: I am so happy that you have fallen in love! How wonderful it is to hear that and I wish you the best.

BTW how is your daughter doing? Have a good day. More hugs, Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    I love this!!!! And Barbara I'm so happy for you!!!

7. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    I feel so much better about myself at an older age. I do not really worry too much about what people think. I have also learned to not allow others to use me as a doormat - something I had issues with when I was younger.

I must say that I am having the BEST YEARS of my LIFE right NOW!! :0) I have even recently fallen in love with a special person - REALLY fallen in love!!
    Barbara I am so glad for you!I wish you all the best things in life for the rest of your life. Love, redhead/Patty
    Last edited by redhead; 08-15-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Barbara G.;96802]I feel so much better about myself at an older age. I do not really worry too much about what people think. I have also learned to not allow others to use me as a doormat - something I had issues with when I was younger.

I must say that I am having the BEST YEARS of my LIFE right NOW!! :0) I have even recently fallen in love with a special person - REALLY fallen in love!![/QUOTE]

How wonderful for you. Life is much too short not to do what you want to do and take chances.

LI Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    This was beautiful to read. I don't think anyone is actually "Old". You are as they say as young as you feel, tho time, will grant you the wisdom to know what matters most in life to you. I was always raised to be independent and to not depend on what others think of me. That has cause me to be "the weird one" I don't care. I love who I am, through all the trials that life has already given me, I feel that I have raised above what I could have even imagined I could do. I have a sister who is almost 8 years younger then I, she doesn't get it yet. She's only 20 and was alot more sheltered then I, so hopefully she gets it. For myself, I finally feel, well, free is the only word that comes to my mind. I think for myself, I'm happily in love and engaged to a man that understands me in every way, loves me even with all my flaws. Conclusion, I'm am happy that I am getting older. Life is an adventure, and it's amazing every step of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you liked the quote, Firepxy. You sound like a very wise young woman. I predict you have a happy, fulfilling life ahead of you.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Bug. I sure hope that's what happens :)