Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow is right! I always thought knitting was more popular than crocheting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, this is interesting as I have had people say I only knit & wouldn't waste time crocheting. I do both, but if in a hurry for a gift crochet is the fastest & just as pretty,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyCube View Post
    Wow is right! I always thought knitting was more popular than crocheting!
    Me, too. I have a theory about that. I think knitting has had a renewal among younger gals, and they are more active on social media, and have blogs more than some of us "granny" crocheters. Now, I know some grannies have blogs, but lots do not. The young ones spread the praises of knitting and are more vocal about it. I think that's why folks think knitting is more popular, because maybe we hear more about it.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    People who crochet are just having too much fun to stop and blog about it

Post Thanks / Like
    suejoycetn-I agree. Blogging would just use up stitching time!

6. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to make another comment here, and I mean nothing negative about people who crochet (after all, I am one, lol.) My daughter who is in her 30's is quite a good knitter. She's made sweaters, and even socks, which I think are pretty difficult to knit. I've followed some of the knitting blogs because of her.

I've noticed that many of the people who knit (especially the younger ones) make a really big deal about their yarn - go into elaborate descriptions of the kind, type, brand, ethnic background in the country where it was made, even the type of sheep that the wool comes from!

There are those types of knitters for whom it seems to be all about "bragging rights" as to the quality of the materials they use. Not all of them, but quite a lot that I've seen have this attitude. They would never, ever, even for a minute allow their hands or needles to touch "Red Heart" yarn. Some of them even refer to it as "granny yarn." So, there is that attitude about knitting as a hobby for some folks. I don't see this attitude very much in people who crochet.

PS I'm not knocking knitters as a general class, just some that I've met online.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, cool that we are number 3!!!

LI Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Knitting is so low because we were too busy knittin' to take the survey! LOL!

10. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Annette, there ARE yarn snobs who knit. Personally, I view their comments as an indication of their insecurity as persons and knitters. It's sort of a "I can't knit as well as, say, "JJ", so I boast about my yarn, needle, accessory brands as though that will make me SOMEBODY in the knitting world. I have used good ole Red heart for over 60 years and I've never encountered the problems some people attribute to it. It gets softer with use and laundering; the types and colors available are amazing; it wears like iron for kiddles and stuff that might get hard use.
    Besides, if So-and-So don't like the yarn I use and wants to provide a more expensive, so-called "Better" yarn at no cost or trouble to me, I say go right ahead and "Thanks!"
    Of course, my opinion and $2.25 in exact change will get you on a crosstown bus in NYC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsynr View Post
    Yes, Annette, there ARE yarn snobs who knit. Personally, I view their comments as an indication of their insecurity as persons and knitters. It's sort of a "I can't knit as well as, say, "JJ", so I boast about my yarn, needle, accessory brands as though that will make me SOMEBODY in the knitting world. I have used good ole Red heart for over 60 years and I've never encountered the problems some people attribute to it. It gets softer with use and laundering; the types and colors available are amazing; it wears like iron for kiddles and stuff that might get hard use.
    Besides, if So-and-So don't like the yarn I use and wants to provide a more expensive, so-called "Better" yarn at no cost or trouble to me, I say go right ahead and "Thanks!"
    Of course, my opinion and $2.25 in exact change will get you on a crosstown bus in NYC!
    I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion - thanks for posting it!

And, this is off-topic, but in addition to crocheting, I also do papercrafts and make greeting cards. There are the same sorts of folks in that hobby. I call them (to myself, of course) paper snobs. They go on and on about what kind of paper they use to make their cards, and how expensive and special it is.

I am of the opinion that if you take the time to make a special handmade greeting card and spend the postage to send it, that's the point - not how much the paper cost!
    Last edited by buggainok; 09-10-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

13. Likes seashells_Shelly, DinahRoberts liked this post