Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Amigurumi

Post Thanks / Like

Amigurumi

I want to take on a amigurumi project soon, I've never done one.

I was wondering if anyone has done any on here, and if they are as hard as they seem? I keep all my little bitty pieces of yarn I snip off, Could I use that as stuffing or is actually fabric stuffing better?

Any info on this type of pattern would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know we have some members who have done this sort of crochet. Hopefully, they will be along soon and post in this thread. Thanks for your patience!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made some amigurumi things, and they aren't hard to do. The ones I've seen are single crochet. You really need to use stitch markers, and keep track of your rows, since they go in a spiral, and don't have an end stitch, and start the next row like an afghan. I've used fiberfill to stuff mine, but lots of people do stuff them with leftover yarn, if you have enough.

I also made a few teddy bears, but really disliked having to sew the arms and legs on. I don't have much patience with hand sewing, so that is a drawback for me with amigurumi animals.

There are lots and lots of really cute free amigurumi patterns and advice on the internet if you google it. Here is a picture of some amigurumi Easter eggs and chicks that I made this year:

Amigurumi-crochet-easter-eggs-2013-jpgAmigurumi-easter-eggs-chick-jpg
    Last edited by buggainok; 08-05-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

4. Likes momma3girls liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Firepxy I do amigurumi all the time I think they are fairly easy to do. I have never used the bits and pieces for stuffing. As i have said in the past if you can single crochet and count you can do amigurumi . Here is a picture of the zooAmigurumi-zoo-001-jpg my one piece of advice is when you stuff stuff some more this will help you with heads that don't bobble or in the case of a giraffe the neck will stay straight.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Buggainok- The eggs that you made are really cute. I do have a few stitch markers available and I have gotten several free patterns. What did you stuff your eggs with?
    Last edited by Firepxy; 08-05-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ms Bhaven- Your animals are absolutely adorable! and I will keep your stuffing suggestion on my mind when I do start a project

Post Thanks / Like
    Firepxy I do amigurumi all the time I think they are fairly easy to do. I have never used the bits and pieces for stuffing. As i have said in the past if you can single crochet and count you can do amigurumi . Here is a picture of the zooAmigurumi-zoo-001-jpg my one piece of advice is when you stuff, stuff and then stuff some more this will help you with heads that don't bobble or in the case of a giraffe the neck will stay straight.

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure why i double posted

I do have some free patterns on my pinterest page see below for the link

sorry most of them can be found under wish list
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 08-05-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepxy View Post
    Buggainok- The eggs that you made are really cute. I do have a few stitch markers available and I have gotten several free patterns. What did you stuff your eggs with?
    Thank you. I made them for my daughter who has 7 children. I figured they could throw them at each other, and they wouldn't break, lol.

I used regular old safety pins for my stitch markers. Not pretty, but they worked. You really only need one, as you move it as you finish each row. I used the fiberfill that you get at Joanns or Hancocks to stuff my amigurumi with. And, MsBehaven is right, you really need to stuff them firmly, and they squash very easy if you don't.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

11. Likes Teri liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I also do amigurumi. It only takes a single crochet. Most work in rounds instead of rows. If you can count you can do it. I always place a marker at the beginning of the row so I can keep track of where I am. Leisure Arts have some books published for patterns. I've done animals, cupcakes, donuts, etc. What's so neat is that you can get one done in a few hours and see the finished product, unlike sweaters, etc. Allfreecrochet.com has several free patterns as does lion brand yarn.