Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Help with reading a pattern

Hi, I hope someone can help me in reading a pattern. I usually filet crochet but ordered a kit for a throw in crochet. Here's the problem: I made my chain of 174 and dc in 4 chain from hook, ch 1, dc in same ch,
    [skip next ch, v-st in next ch] twice, *ch 7, skip next 7 ch, sc in next ch, ch3, skip next ch, sc in next ch, ch 7, skip next 7ch, [V-st in next ch, skip next ch] 3 times **,V-st in next ch; rep from * 6 times more, but ending last rep at **, dc in last ch, turn.
    I'm lost after coming to the first **V-st in next chain; I've spent hours redoing this but either end up with too many empty chains left to the end. Both sides are suppose look alike. If they meant another v st why didn't they put 4 times before the **?
    I've looked in my crochet for Dummies but it must be on a higher level than I am because I do understand brackets but cannot follow this.
    Any help is appreciated.
    paco

Post Thanks / Like
    paco when i get confused over a pattern i write it out in steps or on tiny pieces of paper so i can do them one at a time
    chain of 174 and dc in 4 chain from hook,
    ch 1, dc in same ch,
    [skip next ch, v-st in next ch] twice,
    *ch 7, skip next 7 ch, sc in next ch, ch3, skip next ch, sc in next ch, ch 7, skip next 7ch, [V-st in next ch, skip next ch] 3 times **,
    V-st in next ch;
    rep from * 6 times more, but ending last rep at **,
    dc in last ch, turn.

some one correct me if i am wrong in breaking this up
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 07-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

3. Likes caroltheteach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    bumping up so someone can help you...also how far are you into the pattern? Sometimes you have to get a certain number of rows done for it to begin to take shape and look right.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are u making? I just did a sweater jacket using V's and it was very confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    MsBhaven I think you nailed it when you broke it up.

7. Likes Judy328 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Paco12348, I agree with MsBhaven,, I was having problems trying to do a center for a star. The stitches just didn't work, so I wrote out the 83 stitches and on top of the number I put the stitch that was going in that stitch. And it all came out right . I had to do 3 rows before things got to working. and I found that I didn't like it anyway.

9. Likes rosieh20 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Reading the pattern

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to answer all them together.
    I'm making an afgan. The majority of it is in V stitch. I made a small lap afgan many moons ago in the same stitch with no problems.
    I did write the pattern out as suggested but that still didn't tell me where to insert the stitch following the **. It looks like it should go as the 5th V stitch but that doesn't make sense. The pattern could have simply read repeat 4 more times instead o f 3 more times. I'm left with several chains after working the pattern so I just need to know where in the world to insert the extra V st.
    I'm going to print off MsBhaven's reply and if it goes to the end o f the chain then perhaps I've made a mistake in the way I wrote it out. Thanks for all the replies. This thing cost too much to not finish.
    pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paco12348 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to answer all them together.
    I'm making an afgan. The majority of it is in V stitch. I made a small lap afgan many moons ago in the same stitch with no problems.
    I did write the pattern out as suggested but that still didn't tell me where to insert the stitch following the **. It looks like it should go as the 5th V stitch but that doesn't make sense. The pattern could have simply read repeat 4 more times instead o f 3 more times. I'm left with several chains after working the pattern so I just need to know where in the world to insert the extra V st.
    I'm going to print off MsBhaven's reply and if it goes to the end o f the chain then perhaps I've made a mistake in the way I wrote it out. Thanks for all the replies. This thing cost too much to not finish.
    pat
    the reason they do not say to repeat 4 times is because you will be repeating all that is after the * 6 more times and after that you will stop at the ** and go to the last step

I am curious as to how many stitches you have left on the chain when you are done
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 07-23-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This last time I worked it I had 10 then found where I had missed a st and redid it bring it up to 9. Usually I can suss out a pattern but this one has me beaten.
    By the picture it looks like there are 7 sets of V-sts. That leaves 6 of the ch 7 sets. Just by looking I can't figure where one would add the extra v-st.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am at a loss with out seeing it