Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you support your habit?!!?

I'd really like to hear about how everyone supports their hooking habit. I use like 20% of the money I make to buy materials for my next project. Since I make no money and I'm poor if I don't sell I don't make anything. I use every scrap of thread I have to make things. I use a 40 or 50% off coupon every time I go to the store. I buy one thing and on the next trip buy one other thing. I actually live off of the other 80% of the money I make. It's really hard now that I don't have the monthly craft fair I was going to where I sold $200 a month every time. Share your stories.

2. Likes amanda, Anaisa, mash52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I try to scrap up some little bits here and there. My kids get me yarn when they go shopping..I make them buy me a skein each for doing dishes..THEIRS..lol. (they work and can do this) I also have my daughter and son in law and new granddaughter..they get me a skein for babysitting..(I would sit anyway..I love my gd..lol. but shh don't tell them) but lately I have used the money for beads for a project I want to try. I have also gotten yarn from my mother in law and my aunt..anytime some one want to give away any yarn or related products..I am on it like white on rice..lol. I seem to be on a roll making purses and may try my hand at selling a few..which I hope will help support my yarn craze...right now I am in a color slump as I can only get to Walmart to buy yarn..Ac moores and jo annes and micheal's is another town with is like a half hour from me and I don't have a car..and by the time I take a train and cab to go..it cost me way to much for yarn..so I could order on line..but I hate doing that too..I rather touch and see what I am buying. '
    Now..my dd and son in law are moving back to TN in early august..so good bye to that skein, but more than that my darling little sweet grand baby is going too..I think I probably will lay down my hook for a few days when she leaves..I know my heart will hurt and I won't do anything till I get a grip again.

Money will be a issue for me after they leave also as we all split rent..so bills and rent will take most of what my hubby makes..so I will have to cut back ..Moe maybe that is your answer..maybe you can find a room mate or two to split rent and such..maybe you can find a like minded soul that needs to share or is willing to take room mate..you should check it out.

4. Likes amanda, Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take about 40 bucks out of what I get every month if I don't need anything ( clothes ect...) then I go buy yarn if I am really lucky I can find the huge balls on sale for 5 or 6 bucks.. if not I buy what I need for future projects for my kids... my middle one jorden wants a rainbiw colored blanket I have all the colors but two.. I need bright orange and yellow.... hard to find around here.

6. Likes amanda, Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I live on SS so I have very little money but I was getting alimony and I was able to buy a lot of yarn from Ebay and I am using a lot of that yarn now. I do buy cotton yarn for all the pot holders and hot pads but I try to get it on sale. So I guess you could say I am crocheting with yarn I bought when I had a better income and I also ask for the yarn when the kids want me to make something for them. I am hoping to sell a lot at the yard sale but I have never had a sale so I have no idea what I will make. Doesn't sound like much help to you but my two cents.

8. Likes amanda, N/A, Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do some of us "ME" Buy and Horn it?? I guess I feel on the day when Im alone I dont drive or have a social life. We do nothing socially . I buy when ever I go out, a Dollar store, Goodwill Center has yarn 40% off of there Bags, some times a skein or2 or 4 NEW@ $2.99 to 3.99 or a bag of fuzzy etc type yarn with wrapper falling off but NEW. Im lucky & My BOSS (hubby) has nothing Ill listen to. I feel guilty. Crochetsoup YOU started this "HUGS" I do Donate most of my items so it helps. Some yarns pricy.?? I spent $30 + a Month Id say. For strangers not your lucky Familys HUGS xxxx to all

10. Likes amanda, Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was working I pretty much did and bought whatever I wanted. Now my SS goes for groceries, any other household things we need and yarn! It is a real change for me and hard to get used to. I do not budget very well although I am getting better at it. If I had to pay bills too I would be sol. Hubby will work another 2-3 years so we have to get ourselves in order now and I really wish we had started sooner! Shirley

12. Likes amanda, Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just about like the other ladies, I keep a couple of dollars for the yarn sales . Then I buy when I see it on sale. Like walmart has their Redhart with Love on sale cause they will not be selling it anymore. And I have a big stash from past sales. I too am on the ss so I figure I won't be able to put the few dollars in the cookie jar for long. Then the stash will come in handy. Margaret.

14. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you all loud and clear! I always get more yarn from around September to June and during the summer that is when we are usually struggling but survive! We live only on my SSI and SS during the summer which isn't much but during the winter we have School financial aide and the child support that my x owes for past 18 years on my 2 older sons! So we stock up and catch up during September on and bite tooth and nail in summer until 1 of our 3 older sons finds a job to help! My hubby always makes sure I have enough for the summer! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!

16. Likes Anaisa, MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well before my husband got ill, we really didn't have to much to worry about, his SSI and SS plus he has a Pention from where he worked. If it wasn't for his pension we would have been in a worls of hurt.. I have so much yarn and thread stored up I won't need to buy anything every again if I didn't want to.but some times I can't resist a new type of yarn, like the ones that make there own stripe. But since he has been in the nursing home it takes most of my money so won't be buying thread for awhile. So I am glad I have a lot stored up.

18. Likes amanda, Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it is only me, my situation is a little different so I tend to "splurge" but I do it my way (to quote Frank Sinatra, LOL). Two of my favorite words are sale and clearance (after yarn and shoes) so I check out sales and clearance. The other day Michaels had two (wish there would have been more) skeins of Red Heart Super Saver in Bright Yellow for 29 cents each and one lone skein of Claret for $1.79, still better than the $2.99 regular price. So I took those. I use coupons and have found yarn at Goodwill, Big Lots, Dollar Tree, even at the Christmas Tree Store. I also look for online sales and coupled with free shipping, makes it a lot sweeter. Since the majority of my work is for charitable organizations, I like to get the most I can for my money. My motto actually (and this goes for anything else I may need or want) is "I like to get the most I can for the least amount of money" and I do very well. It's a challenge but I enjoy it.

LI Roe

20. Likes Anaisa, MeerKat liked this post