Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Copyright Issues

We were talking about this issue just a little bit ago, but I have just run into more information. I looked up what Sedrula Maruska/Yarn Obsessions had to say, and in her wisdom, her last comment was to just leave any pattern alone that came with "strings". She also offered another site - http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...Policies.shtml. This page talks about Angel Policies and Cottage Licenses and how these were just made up by people/companies to control or rip-off unsuspecting customers. However, I have just stumbled on some very interesting (but discouraging) info.

wiki.CreativeCommons.org - Creative Commons is a global nonprofit organization that enables sharing and reuse of creativity and knowledge through the provision of free legal tools. It has set up a base of six different kinds of copyright licensing, the strictest of them stating that:
    1) Credit must be given to the original author
    2) You may not use this work for commercial purposes
    3) You may not alter, transform, or build upon the original work, BUT
    4) You can copy, distribute or transmit the work, and
    5) Any of the above can be waived by the original author.
    BUT HERE'S THE CATCH: The original author must make clear to others the license terms of the work, usually providing a link to the licensing site. With two exceptions that I know of, I haven't seen any mention of copyright licensing along with the requests/demands of the author. I don't have a problem with giving credit to the designer or posting a link back to her/his site for those who want the pattern. But to demand that you can't sell what you've made from the pattern? I stand my ground. I think it's ludicrous that in this economy anyone would restrict the sale of products made by another's hand. If a designer is that worried about someone else making a dime off a product made from their pattern, then the designer should not offer the pattern (for free or sale) and just sell the products themselves. I do agree with Sedrula - if a designer attaches unreasonable demands with their pattern, then it's time to just move on.

Ok. I have now completed my ranting, and I think I will treat myself to a drink. Farewell til next time, fellow crocheters!

2. Likes billieconrad, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it, you are talking my talk for sure. Some of the restrictions are silly. Thanks for your info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!There are too many English words for me. Can you kindly explain me in few words about doilies. I do not design. If I made doily - can I put it to my site as my work I made by my hands? I do not sell doilies. Not for commercial just bragging == Larisa
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Larissa, you may post pics of WORK you have done. It is in the PATTERN sharing or copying, printing, and selling the pattern itself where most folks get into trouble.
    I believe that if a designer wants to restrict their design's use, they should keep the design pattern to themselves and restrict its use to licensees, like Disney does. You get a license for Disney Product A, produce it, and sell it and pay Disney's fees for doing that business.
    There are lots of posts on copyrights you can read that will explain it better.
    Remember, if you ORIGINATE a design, it belongs to YOU. If I want to use it, I have to have your permission; and if I sell it, I have sold something that belongs to you, not me!
    Last edited by Dsynr; 07-18-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you again. I am so tired from all discussion and I do not sell doilies too. I see doily and I rechart it for myself...
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    Thank you again. I am so tired from all discussion and I do not sell doilies too. I see doily and I rechart it for myself...
    Honey- you don't have anything to worry. Post all the pics of your work that you want to and don't worry about it. Hugs!

Post Thanks / Like
    The copyright laws can be so confusing. I have seen statements by designers that allow you to sell items made from their patterns but not online or in a cottage industry. Some says as long as you do not sell their pattern, they are fine with sales. Others do not want anything sold, only to be used for personal or charitable use. I think back years ago when I used to sell small items at work that I made from patterns in magazines and booklets, never thought about it until I started reading more and more online when questions starting coming up about copyright laws. In some of my older books, there was always a statement that you couldn't reprint without permission, now it specifically states no electronic reprints. It has come a long way.

I, for one, would never sell another person's pattern or claim it to be my own. There was a great blog from a designer who has since taken it down due to problems on the site and she always had her patterns free for all. One time I found one of her items on it and without a pattern, though it was close to her other items she had made. I emailed her and asked about this particular item, she emailed me back, explained the difference in the two items and said she was happy I wanted to use it for charity and just asked that I did not sell the items, especially online and I respected her wishes. Then you have books and leaflets for item for bazaar sales. Still confuses me but then lately, it doesn't take a lot to confuse me. LOL

I will admit, I have changed some patterns around (mainly hats, since I usually end up making them too big so I tweak them to fit but then they go to charity anyway). And when I post a picture of what I have done, it is my work and not the original picture. I have heard some people use the original picture when posting.

Can I join you in a drink now? I think I need one too.

Happy crocheting everyone.

LI Roe
    Last edited by LI Roe; 07-18-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Come here! I will give you best coffee I have here
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kl1000;92691]Come here! I will give you best coffee I have here[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me!!! Have a great day.

LI Roe