Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  39
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend taking chemo and she says it is always cold in the room. Maybe a small lap afghan in boy colors that he could take to his treatments.

2. Likes marybethblus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [COLOR="purple"]Hi teapot1640. There is an Infusion Wrap Crochet pattern in the "Cheap Caps & Wraps Crochet mag." (Annie's Attic #871044)/COLOR]That U could make and personalize just for him for his Chemo infusions. Also if he likes Angry Birds....there is cute crochet goodies U can make for him. Feel Free to send me a message if UR interested in any of these patterns. Have U taught him Crochet? Prayers Sent his way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyL. View Post
    I love the idea of the blanket that folds into a pillow. Easy to carry w/ him and if he doesn't need the blanket he has the pillow to rest on. Make it in his favorite colors or team colors if he is into sports. I also like the idea of the crocheted checkerboard and the monster who listens but doesn't talk back. Google crocheted games and see if there are others besides checkers. Love what you are doing.
    A "quillow" is also a good idea. It's usually sewn, however they can be crocheted or knit as well.
    Ravelry: Crochet Quillo pattern by Lincraft
    Dad's Quillow
    Stephanie Says : Knitting : Bond : Pillowghan Pattern

5. Likes rack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Definately the Quillo and slippers and mohawk hat! If you make the hat use the softest yarn you can find or try to line it with fleece because heads are tender. God Bless the child. Maybe he would even like to learn to crochet, you could teach him and then he could crochet to help ease his mind and be way cool to boot!

7. Likes Judi Gums, rack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    now THAT'S a cool idea!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teapot1640 View Post
    I have a young teenage friend with cancer(13-year old boy). Other than hats, can anyone suggest anything else that I could crochet for him? He's going through chemo and radiation right now and of course is feeling awful. I'm trying to think of something to cheer him up. Yes, I have already made him a ski hat. If anyone has any ideas, please pass them along.

Linda
    I have made checkerboard sets of various colors and now tic tac toe sets in camo colors. They can be made in so many colors, fun to play with and fun to make. If anyone has any more ideas for games for someone in hospital or traveling, please post on here. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    How about crocheting a pouch about the size of a cell phone cover for him to put his change and bills in with strings for closing anda long handle he could tie to a wheel chair etc

11. Likes Judi Gums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teapot1640 View Post
    I have a young teenage friend with cancer(13-year old boy). Other than hats, can anyone suggest anything else that I could crochet for him? He's going through chemo and radiation right now and of course is feeling awful. I'm trying to think of something to cheer him up. Yes, I have already made him a ski hat. If anyone has any ideas, please pass them along.

Linda
    Hi, teapot1640.
    I know your original post was from last year. But I thought I would offer a few suggestions anyway.

I am a Leukemia patient and I know there are three things that really make chemo even less comfortable than it could be:

1. You get cold. Incredibly cold. Some of the meds that are used in chemo have to be refridgerated to be stored properly! So guess what, when they go into that IV they are COLD. Blankets, shawls, anything to wrap up in is a plus. The hats help and also cover hair loss. The hospitals often have blankets but sometimes not enough to go around that day, and having one (or three, or whatever) that is yours, all yours, is a HUGE comfort.

2. You get bored. Depending on the rate and how much of each med has to be infused, it can take all day. That's a long time for a little'un to sit still. Something fun to play with would be great to stem off the boredom. So, a draw-string tote to put books, crayons, a few quiet toys in would be good....a few stuffed toys to go in it would be great, too!

3. You get sleepy. Often the meds make you woozy or nauseous and the body turns to sleep to deal with the discomfort. A nice neck pillow (I like this one which is a free pattern Cat Neck Pillow WR1679 | Free Patterns | Yarn is great and can be adapted for just about any other critter the young man might fancy.

4. Oh! And sometimes you have to leave the IV in for a few consecutive days...or a 'pic' line that stays in for weeks.... A fingerless, elbow-length glove was helpful for me for going home. It kept the IV loop line from catching on my other clothes and stuff. This has to be able to be opened/closed flat so a button-up version or zipper version would be perfect. I just never figured out how to put a zipper in a crocheted or knitted item. For a 'pic' line, one that wraps around the upper arm to keep the loop from the IV line from catching on stuff is another great idea. Again, has to open/close flat so it can be wrapped without pulling on the IV line.

Hope this helps others who come to this thread for ideas.
    Last edited by DeaconsWife; 08-30-2012 at 12:25 PM.

13. Likes KathyL., NancyJ, marybethblus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a cap made with camouflage colored yarn? All men seem to love anything camo whether they hunt or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the ideas here are great. Your 13 year old friend will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on his progress.