Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    If he has a cell phone (what kid today doesn't) you can crochet him a funky cell phone cover with something cute on the front. I have seen many patterns for this, and they really are adorable. I have also seen on the Knitting Paradise site a very funny hat with a beard and mustache, which I made for my grandchildren and then had to do it for the BIG KIDS (son and sn-in-laws) and everyone has had a fun time wearing them. I have also been making lapghans for several friends who are undergoing chemo and they are light enough for them to take them along with them when in the hospital for a day of treatment. You could certainly do it in a very short time, and perhaps find out what teams he likes and use those colors.

2. Likes NancyJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The rage seems to be the fish hats, hats with animal ears, etc. I have seen one that looked like sock monkey.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the cutest hat on a young person the other day... it had the earflaps with the long strings for tying it but across the top was a "fake" mohawk (faux-hawk?)... you could do it in multi-colors since all the kids seem to be dying their hair several different colors at the same time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, what about going to Walmart and get the young man a loom set? It has four or five different size looms. It is simple instructions. That he would have something to do to pass the time. They have round sets, square, oval and other sets. He could make hats scarfs and blankets. I have done for a friend granddaughter with cancer. It help to keep her mind busy and a sense of peace. The set cost any where from a few dollars to about 20.00. Plus the cost of some yarn. God bless and will keep the whole in our prayers and thoughts. Linda from Weatherford Tx.

6. Likes NancyJ, marybethblus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also a breast cancer survivor (15 yrs). Fortunately I did not need chemo. However my 45 yo daughter has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and had a breast MRI that showed some additional areas of concern. It may be nothing or it may be something, so she just had some more biopsies and we are awaiting the results. I am hoping and praying for the best.
    As for your young friend, even though he is 13 yrs old, he might like some sort of stuffed animal to comfort him during chemo or if he is too embarrassed to take to chemo with him, he might like it to sleep with. There are also patterns for animal pillows. You might also consider a very tiny stuffy or monster or ninja etc to clip on to his school backpack or some funny pencil toppers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there! Thought I'd stick my 2 cents in here = ) I was very blessed and didn't need any additional treatments when my melanoma was found..they just cut it out and cut wide and deep margins...so nothing else needed! I hate hate hate to see a child go thru what this young man (teenager) is going thru! There are more games out there! Tic tac toe is available and even those toss ones too! So cool for kids to not destroy the surrounding areas lol.
    There are other things too, like if he has a kindle or that type of equipment you could always do a cover for that. I totally agree w/the lapghan and LOVE the suggestion for the throw/fold into pillow! What an awesome gift! They also have free patterns on redheart.com for the scarf that has the "monster" mittens at the ends = ) I will also keep this young one in my thoughts and prayers! Keep us posted on what you make = ) and I love that monster!

9. Likes billiebob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It might be nice to crochet him a small afghan that he can cuddle up in or a pillow for his head. Slippers always come in handy too and animal slippers can be made with funny expressions to make him laugh. I hope this young man has great success with his treatments and the cancer is cured for him. I know he's 13 but even a crocheted animal buddy might help too. May God bless this child with a speedy recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Linda, I have a teen age grandson who had brain cancer. It's been two yrs since we found out and he has gone through a lot. I would suggest lap blankets, slippers, checkerboard w/ checkers (he can play this on the bed) and a tote bag to carry his things in. I have used camo yarn, he likes it. Good Luck to you and the young man you crochet for. I will keep him in my prayers....Nancy Jimenez, Ingleside, Tx.
    Last edited by NancyJ; 07-19-2012 at 04:35 AM.

12. Likes billiebob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    how about an afghan or pillow?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he might like an afghan to cover up with during chemo. There are several patterns that are masculine and if you know what he likes in sports you could use those colors or maybe he has a super hero that you could use for a theme. This is one of the toughest ages to give gifts but if you know his hobbies it could be something he cherishes. My prayers are with him.