Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

about copy rights

Hello! I have a question that has me confused if a person would start a web sight and take pictures of crochet stuff that someone else has made like redheart yarn company say if I took one of there pattern that has the pic on it and say I made this can't that be against the law and not taking a pic of the pattern that u made

Post Thanks / Like
    From my LIMITED understanding of copy rights you can post what YOU made but you have to link back to their website for the pattern itself. That you can not post on your web. Unless you get their permission. Happy crocheting.

3. Likes wenda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You better make own pictures with your copyrights. Ask in Forum may be ladies can give permission to put own photos to website. I can give some pictures of doilies I made myself
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Copyright laws boil down to the simple issue of the creator's ownership of what is created.
    It means that the owner of the copyright has the exclusive "right" to "copy" the project/item. Anyone else who uses the copyrighted stuff must have the owner's permission to do so. Persons who use the copyrighted materials without permission may be sued for copyright infringement. If found guilty, the penalties are rather steep.
    Not all material is copyrighted; and is considered "in the public domain", that is, anyone can use non-copyrighted material in the manner he or she sees fit. For the rest:
    Types of permissions of the owner/designer are sometimes given as
    1. You can use for yourself, gifts, etc.
    2. You can use for yourself, gifts, etc., IF you give the source---the designer/book/publication, etc
    3. You can use for yourself or gifts---permission of the designer is needed for sales
    4. You can use for yourself or gifts---no selling is permitted
    5. You cannot use without the designer's permission, usually in writing
    There are other combinations of use restrictions, I am sure; but these are the ones I know about.
    It is usually safe to give the link back to a pattern you have used; but you should not "share" a pattern you are not certain is in the public domain.
    Last edited by Dsynr; 06-17-2013 at 06:53 AM.

6. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I made doily and got design from a book - may I put picture of doily to my site?
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe you can post pictures of what you made on your site with no problem - it's when you get asked for the pattern that you have to refer the person to the designer's website. I'm not sure how it would work for a book. Certainly you could refer people to the book if they want the pattern, but if the book is out of print...? I've seen listings on ebay selling old patterns (at least twenty years), but I don't know if that's legal.

There is a question I have regarding this topic. Why do people post a free pattern and then say you can't make the item for sale? In today's economy it seems ridiculous. They only thing I can think is that the designer doesn't want anyone to take their pattern and mass produce it, and I can understand that. But to sell five, ten, maybe even twenty of an item? I don't get it. If the designer is so afraid that someone is going to get rich off their design, then just sell the pattern and be done with it. Oh, well.

9. Likes Anaisa, cybarra, MeerKat, ILikeCrochet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it's more of an artist thing than a money thing. I don't understand that why if it's free why can't you make it for sale either. but someone posted here something on copy rights and it makes sense when you read it; but individuals can get very 'abusive' and threaten, so I've heard; I say, ask a lot of questions if you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if it is against the law of men- but if you say you made it and didn't that is lying! You could say you made one like it-.............
    Quote Originally Posted by wenda View Post
    Hello! I have a question that has me confused if a person would start a web sight and take pictures of crochet stuff that someone else has made like redheart yarn company say if I took one of there pattern that has the pic on it and say I made this can't that be against the law and not taking a pic of the pattern that u made

12. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    If I made doily and got design from a book - may I put picture of doily to my site?
    Yes, Sweetie. You can post all the pictures you want to of the things you have made.

14. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You may post any pic of any project you have made on your website.

Now, I hope this offends no one. If you wish, you may jump over to "Knitters Paradise" site and see the many, many discussions on copyrights that are there. "JJ" in particular has made the issue of copyright very clear in her posts there.

The Only 'Break' We Get: If a pattern is a certain age, I believe it is either 75 or 100 years old, it is considered "In the Public Domain" and can be used in any way one sees fit.

Generally speaking: I can do what I want with MY stuff [give a copy of the pattern to my pals, post it on the 'net, give it to charity or a relative, sell it for charity or my own income]; but not with SOMEBODY ELSE'S stuff. That goes for patterns I originated myself [not other people's patterns I changed here and there to suit myself]; projects I complete, etc.
    Clear as mud?
    Last edited by Dsynr; 06-26-2013 at 05:35 AM.