Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Post Thanks / Like
    O.K. Let me see if I can be clear on this subject.
    Every crocheter knows and uses crochet STITCHES. These STITCHES are nobody's private property.
    A crocheter puts together stitches in a certain way to get a certain result.
    This "way" is a PATTERN.
    A PATTERN is the specific way the stitches were put together to get the result. Someone who creates a PATTERN has made something using the stitches in a very specific way that nobody else has. So the PATTERN belongs to the one who created it. The creator, or designer, has the right to say what can and cannot be done with what they have created. This right is called "copyright".
    You always own whatever you crochet using somebody else's PATTERN; but you never OWN the pattern itself. That is why you can post a pic of what YOU have made; but NOT the pic that was shown on the pattern as an illustration of the completed project with that design.
    Designers who put "free" patterns on the 'net are probably trying to get recognition in the hopes of becoming the next Zimmerman or Fassett, and making a living out of something they already do well and love.
    Just because copyright infringement of a pattern is done on a small scale---one or a few items---does not change the fact that someone other than the designer has taken upon themselves the "right" to "copy" the pattern and do what they like with it.
    Now, have I made it clearer?
    Last edited by Dsynr; 07-03-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for being bothering... If 'copyright is like buying a house' but I do not buy house and only build my own house - copy of other house and owner has his house and I have my house... When I make doily I do not OWN pattern. It stays in Magic Crochet where it was before... I do not know who is owner and what did she say about pattern. I still do not know what is dangerous... I do not sell doilies but give away. I do not have profit from patterns and I do not have any own patterns. Any time I can say - it s not mine but from MC.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    kl1000, I feel what you're saying. I draw inspiration for my projects from all over. Sometimes nature, sometimes something I saw in a store window, sometimes a pic I saw. I think that may be a horse of a different color altogether. Good for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Horse is good idea! Thank you. But I want to make angels and one more bruges doily
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    This has come up before, and I will provide you with the link and a summary of what the United States Copyright office has to say. Basically what you make with crochet are useful articles, you can not copyright a Sweater or a blanket or a potholder, because they are all useful articles that are comprised of stitches and designs that are useful. The only thing a designer can copyright is their logo like Louis Vuitton. This is argued by designers who have multi-million dollar businesses there is no way that there is some law enforcement agency out there policing etsy to make sure you or anyone else is not copying someones pattern. It costs literally l000's of dollars to get a copyright and there is no copyright issued for useful items.

Here is the link U.S. Copyright Office - Protection for Fashion Design and a summary below.

Statement of the United States Copyright Office
    before the
    Subcommittee on Courts,
    the Internet, and Intellectual Property,
    Committee on the Judiciary

United States House of Representatives
    109th Congress, 2nd Session

July 27, 2006

Protection for Fashion Design

The Copyright Office submits this written statement to the House Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet and Intellectual Property in connection with the Subcommittee's July 27, 2006 hearing on H.R. 5055, which would amend Title 17 of the United States Code to provide protection for fashion designs.

Summary

Congress has long considered offering sui generis protection for designs of useful articles, and came close to enacting such legislation as part of the Copyright Act of 1976. In 1998, as part of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Congress finally enacted such legislation, but limited its scope of the protection to the designs of vessel hulls.(1) The Vessel Hull Design Protection Act is codifed in Chapter 13 of Title 17. While the form of protection offered in chapter 13 is in many respects similar to the protection offered by copyright law, it is nevertheless a sui generis regime distinct from copyright law.

Over the past year, the Copyright Office has engaged in many discussions with proponents of extending the protection offered under Chapter 13 to fashion designs. Based on those discussions, the tentative view of the Office is that there may well be merit to the view that fashion designs should be given protection similar to that enjoyed by vessel hull designs, but the Office does not believe it has thus far been presented with sufficient information to reach a conclusion on the need for such legislation. The Office looks forward to hearing the testimony of parties who would be affected by such legislation, which should shed greater light on the nature and scope of the problem that the legislation is intended to address.

However, without taking a position on the overall merits of such legislation, the Office has worked with the proponents of the legislation on the legislative language that would amend Chapter 13. The Office is pleased that the proponents of the legislation have been receptive to the Office's suggestions, almost all of which have been included in H.R. 5055. The Office believes that if Congress concludes that fashion design protection legislation should be enacted, H.R. 5055 provides a sound basis for balancing competing interests.