Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ Lee ~ View Post
    I believe you can post pictures of what you made on your site with no problem - it's when you get asked for the pattern that you have to refer the person to the designer's website. I'm not sure how it would work for a book. Certainly you could refer people to the book if they want the pattern, but if the book is out of print...? I've seen listings on ebay selling old patterns (at least twenty years), but I don't know if that's legal.

There is a question I have regarding this topic. Why do people post a free pattern and then say you can't make the item for sale? In today's economy it seems ridiculous. They only thing I can think is that the designer doesn't want anyone to take their pattern and mass produce it, and I can understand that. But to sell five, ten, maybe even twenty of an item? I don't get it. If the designer is so afraid that someone is going to get rich off their design, then just sell the pattern and be done with it. Oh, well.
    EASY EXPLANATION: Obtaining a copyright is like buying a house. It belongs to YOU. If Joe down the block rented out your basement to his cousin and collected the rent, what would you do? Joe has no right to do anything with your house without your permission. YOU have no right to do anything with a copyrighted crochet pattern withour the permission of the copyright owner. "Free" or not almost always means you may make an item for yourself from the pattern and THAT'S ALL.
    SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT: If you make your living at least partly from designing, it becomes easy to understand why you don't want others to use your stuff without compensation to you, even if that compensation is an inconvenience. Think about the American designers getting their stuff copied and sold by the Chinese....

2. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    See This: Yes, you can sell crochet pieces made from someone's pattern!

From me:

And finally from the copyright site : Taking the Mystery Out of Copyright (Library of Congress) (I know it is geared toward children but it is a great introduction)

If you are saying that you are grabbing Red Hearts' picture to show on your site that you made this (meaning the pattern) then It would be in violation of their terms. (Terms and Conditions of Site Use | Red Heart)

If you want to use their photos like you suggest, then a quick message to them asking for permission is all you need to do. Most companies will give you a limited license to share a couple of photos w/ proper credit.

If you make the pattern and post a picture of your creation - perfectly fine.

If you ever question copyright, just ask.
    ~~~Love At All Times ~~~
    Blog: http://crochetbusiness.com

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On my website I post all my creations. I make things that are copy righted but I made them on my own. Like the Ninja Turtles I made. They are obviously copyrighted and I sell them, but Im selling my time not the Ninja Turtle. I post all the pictures of the things I make. I have lots of copyrighted pictures on my site of NON crochet items, But I have disclaimers on all my pages saying I don't own any of them. And I don't sell a thing on my website. Crochetsoup I have an etsy shop wher eI do that. So I think Im good. hehe.

6. Likes ILikeCrochet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    question...making baby sets to sell...sweater and hat are permitted booties are not so i am just selling hat and sweater throwing in booties for free can I do this

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsynr View Post
    You may post any pic of any project you have made on your website.

Now, I hope this offends no one. If you wish, you may jump over to "Knitters Paradise" site and see the many, many discussions on copyrights that are there. "JJ" in particular has made the issue of copyright very clear in her posts there.

The Only 'Break' We Get: If a pattern is a certain age, I believe it is either 75 or 100 years old, it is considered "In the Public Domain" and can be used in any way one sees fit.

Generally speaking: I can do what I want with MY stuff [give a copy of the pattern to my pals, post it on the 'net, give it to charity or a relative, sell it for charity or my own income]; but not with SOMEBODY ELSE'S stuff. That goes for patterns I originated myself [not other people's patterns I changed here and there to suit myself]; projects I complete, etc.
    Clear as mud?
    Oh yes, this has been discussed in detail in Knitting Paradise. That would be a good starting point. It was also suggested that certain necessities, such a clothing, cannot be copyrighted. There was a Pandora's Box opened up on this subject on Knitting Paradise. Thanks for the reminder Dsynr! Wenda, you might check that site, if you dare.

9. Likes ILikeCrochet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is ridiculous that designers say you cannot sell what you make from a pattern. This is blatantly false. If you legally purchase the pattern you can do whatever you want with what you made. What you cannot do is sell the pattern itself or use pictures you didn't take without permission.

I always encourage anyone that buys my patterns to sell what they make!

Also you do not have to link to the person you bought the pattern from. Its nice if you do - but you don't HAVE to.

I just think people don't understand copyright laws and think they can bully other people into doing what they want. This seems to be huge on Etsy with people that sell patterns.

I did have to send a cease and desist to a person on Facebook using my pictures and selling the items. I have no problem with her selling crochet hats but she cannot use my pictures and pretend she made them! Big no no. And to top it off I just found a website using one of my pictures featuring my grandson as a desktop wall paper download ughhh. Makes my head hurt.

Kay

11. Likes ILikeCrochet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Love all the input - this subject is a heated one and one with many different opinions. Opinions are not law. Please don't let people bully you. Break free from the box we've been placed in. I think that when it's something we make with our hands we become personally attached to it so emotions get in the way of business.
    ~~~Love At All Times ~~~
    Blog: http://crochetbusiness.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    If I made doily and got design from a book - may I put picture of doily to my site?
    YOUR DOILY? Yes!
    THE DOILY PICTURE FROM THE BOOK? Not without permission.

You have to remember that you won't OWN the design pattern just because you used it to make your project. SOMEBODY ELSE made the pattern, and THEY OWN IT.
    What YOU own is the doily YOU made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well! I am experienced crocheter. When I see doily - sometimes I can draw pattern or crochet by sight. I do not own their pattern but I can draw picture looked like their pattern
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    --looking??
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן