Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Post Thanks / Like

How to price Afghans

Hello I was just wondering if someone could help me I have always gave my afghans aways as gifts and now I thought I would try and sale some but don't know how to price them thanks wenda

Post Thanks / Like
    We all struggle with that. I have never sold one but I know that I have more time and expense in them than I can make for them. Hopefully someone who sells them will come along and tell you what you need to know.

3. Likes wenda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I was also told that you take the price of your yarn and how many you take to make the afghan and then you x it and then you add your time in it

Post Thanks / Like
    For most people, starting with double the cost of your supplies is a good foundation. Some charge a little more than this, too.

6. Likes wenda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a firm believer that you can never make an hourly rate from any craft. Like Barbara said you have to make your money off materials. For things that take longer to make I charge more and simple things like baby blankets that I can make in a few hours I charge less. But always start with what it costs you to make it. You should make at LEAST double what it cost you. Even before I had a store selling yarn I would buy up yarn every time I saw it on sale. That way I increased my profits.

For example I sell this baby blanket for 50.00 plus shipping

How to price Afghans-masonwatermark-jpg

I sell this one for 16.00 plus shipping as its so fast and less expensive to make

How to price Afghans-zebrablanketshimmeryarn-jpg

8. Likes wenda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was always told that it should be your cost of materials times 3. That is how I price my items. Of course if it is something with great detail , I may charge more.

10. Likes wenda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with 3 times the cost.

12. Likes wenda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There a lot of good feedback and I agree with Wenda statement. The cost of your yarns and your labor. I only do gifts with my work. I hope one day I start to sell too. Have a wonderful day everyone :-)

14. Likes wenda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On allfreecrochet or favcrafts there is a example that says something like how to price you work or projects! I will look it up again I saved it in favorites ! GOOD LUCK! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked on Etsy for handmade afghans. They seem to be priced anywhere from $20 for a small one, to several hundred dollars for larger ones. There were lots of ripple afghans for around $50 or $60. I think many of the prices are too low, and would hardly cover the cost of the materials. On the other hand, not everyone would pay $100 or more for an afghan.

I think it is very difficult to make much of a profit making any kind of handmade item. Like everyone has said, if you try to count your hourly wage for the time spent, you would end up making a couple of bucks an hour.

If you just enjoy doing it, and can make enough to cover the cost of your materials, plus a little extra, selling may work for you.

A couple of years ago, I participated in some craft fairs. I didn't have crochet items, but lots of handmade greeting cards and notebooks, tags, etc. It was fun, I enjoyed meeting people, but barely made enough to cover the cost of my table rent. I decided after that - I will work for love, and not for money, lol.

I give all my things as gifts now.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama