Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about teaching a class

My aunt works at a craft store and told me that they have people come in all the time to teach classes. She told me that if I wanted to I could sign up to teach a crochet class - which sounds like something I could do to earn some extra money but I am also apprehensive. I've tried teaching my friend some crochet but I don't know if I'm that great of a teacher lol.

Do any of you ladies teach crochet to groups of people? How did it go? What did you charge? My aunt said I could charge like $5 or something but I was thinking more like $10 and maybe have two classes (you pay once for both since they would be a continuation of each other.) Or would that be too little?

She said sometimes they don't get many people to go to them and if I signed up to teach more than one class but not many people showed up or it wasn't working out I could cancel the second class.

I'm also researching some more and trying to really expand my knowledge so I can anticipate and answer questions while teaching the basics. I was thinking of just starting out with one project and teaching everyone that, something that has a few stitches to it so they can learn. I know scarves are super easy but I think they are too easy... Plus it's spring. I was thinking maybe a hat but I'm not sure on that either.

Any suggestions or tips?

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I think more people may sign up for a $5 class, especially for beginners. I wonder if you could charge more for "advanced" technique classes. Just a thought - others will be along to post comments as well. Thank you!

4. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just started a class at our library. However, I am doing it as a volunteer. But I found a scarf from RedHeart.com called "Learn Your Stitches Scarf" that I am going to start tomorrow night (for those who are interested). It has diagrams of the basic stitches and uses them one at a time as you work around the scarf from a long center chain. I had 6 students and it was a bit dicey the first night; but 2 of them had crocheted a long time ago and they began helping out. Some of my students have checked out books from the library and are taking off well with just a little help.

6. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure all your instructions are clear. Price, hook, yarn, and if you are in a crochet shop or craft store, you might take a few minutes to show them the yarn, and let them know what they can be used for.

8. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been taking crochet lessons ??? at our community college. Our original teacher moved and another lady took over. She can knit very well, but knows only priliminary stuff. I go because it's a night out without grandchildren hanging all over me. I ended up teaching 3-4 of the ladies myself while she helped others. I ended up knowing more about reading a pattern than she did. I pay $55 for 6 classes. I'm sure you could do it. I'd start out by having a simple project like a dishcloth, towel topper, or the like. We practiced a 4" square of a single crochet, double crochet, half double crochet, and triple crochet. Then we worked on our project for awhile each night. One thing that is important is to teach them how to read a pattern. You might want to have a few samples to go over with them. I think 2 weeks doesn't seem like enough time to give. We meet 1 night for 6 weeks for 2 hours each evening. Even then, there are some that need more. You could offer this in your home where your cost would be minimal. I was hesitant to take over the crochet class I go to, but I'm sorry I didn't go for it. You could offer crochet I and crochet II etc., as the need arises. Go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a knitting class at our church a few years ago. That's where I learned to knit. It was one night a week-every week.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took in a crocheted purse to the Joanns where I shop to show to a clerk I had gotten friendly with. She was impressed and asked if I would be interested in teaching a crochet class. I didn't have to think about it long - No thank you, I said, but that's nice of you.

For me personally, I've found that once I put a time frame or an obligation on anything crafty that I do, it spoils it for me. I know others may feel differently, but the reason I love my hobbies, crocheting, sewing, papercrafting, etc. is that I can do whatever I choose to do, whenever I choose to do it, with no pressure.

Anything I make is given with love, as a gift, and not sold for that reason. If I HAD to do it, I'm afraid I wouldn't want to.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you as easy as it would be to help others YOU made good choice. Your time is zero almost, pay is??? Have a super week-end Susan M J HUGS

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive and you didny gloat your talent you reached out and helped others. Another good choice for you. Nice week end to clean & crochet here in MN. Rainy & breezy coold almost. Getting us use to winter??? HUGS Susan M J

Post Thanks / Like
    Billi that Great and Vouunteering another good soul, Bless you. Our Librarys around me havent had one so far?? LOL