Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  165
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Bias Against Crocheters

This just really gets me. I have no idea why there is such a bias against crocheters. My daughter and I talk about this a lot. A few months back we went to a warehouse of a well known website. Once they learned we crochet instead of knit they were pretty much done with us. Went to a specialty yarn shop in Columbus and got the same thing. Pretty much snubbed once we told them we crochet.

A few months ago I was asked to apply to teach a class at a huge Knit/Crochet show. So I applied but my class I think was outside their norm as I applied to teach a class on how to sell what you make on Etsy and on your own website. They said it was a novel idea but not one they were sure would get sign ups.

Anyway I got a reject letter for my class proposal which is no big deal. But the letter also included this

"to the teachers that submitted crochet classes we are sorry but since there is such a limited interest in crochet we will not be offering crochet classes this year" Participation in crochet classes is just not popular enough but we hope to add them in the future"

Grrrr. So ticks me off!

Okay I feel better now lol

Post Thanks / Like
    what a load of B.S. there are tons of people who crochet and more that want to learn. I would have signed up in a heart beat.

3. Likes amanda, justplainjudy, Carynjoyb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    interesting information; I think people still see crochet as granny squares and left over yarn. this would be an interesting 'study'.....thanks for sharing.

5. Likes amanda, justplainjudy, Carynjoyb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    interesting information; I think people still see crochet as granny squares and left over yarn. this would be an interesting 'study'.....thanks for sharing.
    I think you are right - and also besides granny squares, I think people believe only "granny's" do crochet. Some people hear the word "crochet" and immediately think of a gray-haired old lady at a craft fair selling potholders and tea cozies.

I go on Facebook quite a lot, and I think the perception of crochet is changing, although slowly.

There are lots of young, hip people who have crochet blogs and post patterns on Facebook.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up About Bias Against Crocheters

I agree 100% I went way out of my way to purchase supplies at a yarn shop in my city. When the proprietor learned that I am a crocheter she offered no more assistance except to inform me that knitting classes are offered there.
    What???? I didn't remember asking about learning to knit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Crocheting is a great hobby, I have made so many crocheted items I probably don'thave any idea how many. I have 3 ring notebooks with my favorite patterns. I have knitted but only for baby booties.
    I am the one who didn't know what colors to put in the baby blanket; I am making for my 2nd g.granddaughter. Its yellow and white, and am still working on it. Baby is due on the 10 of June. I also found out I have another g.grandaughter due in October.
    I now have one g.granddaughter who came in April.

What I hear is that Knitting makes fabric, and Crocheting is just for fun; RuBBISH!
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    I love crocheting.... I am also teaching myself how to knit but I find it a pain in the hands compared to crocheting.....

Post Thanks / Like
    This is unbelievable. There are thousands of crochet sites on the internet & many crochet magazines also that can be subscribed to. The CGOA wouldn't have been formed if there wasn't a big interest in crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    GA see its that attitude that just about makes me crazy. I sell both crochet and knitting supplies but my love will always be crochet. I even get this from suppliers I deal with. One of them sent me a hardcover book of crochet stitches because it was a sample she got and she said she would never carry a crochet book for sale so I could just have it since I sell crochet supplies lol. I was happy to have the book but not so happy with the attitude. When I tell suppliers that I sell with an emphasis on crochet supplies they look at me like I am nuts.

Another thing I have found over the years that I think is interesting is crocheters crochet all year long. Most (not all) knitters hang their hooks up for summer and don't go back until fall. I could never go all summer without crocheting

Also I love CGOA but notice how many knitting classes they hold at the crochet conference. I was really surprised by that. Okay I just looked again and its callled the CGOA Knit & Crochet show. So strange.
    Last edited by kayscrochetpatterns; 05-27-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    luckily here there are both knitting and crochet classes being offered, and I can find just as many crochet hooks as I can knitting needles. I don't knit so I don't pay much attention to the knitting stuff. I do wish they offered more variety of yarns though. All 3 store carry the same exact brands and basically the same colors. With an exception of hobby lobby that carries their own band.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

13. Likes amanda, justplainjudy, Carynjoyb liked this post