Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  165
Page 8 of 12 First ... 678910 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI Roe View Post
    I, too, have noticed that crocheters are often "looked down upon" and I still don't understand why people can be so narrowminded. When I read that chemo hats were not accepted because they are crocheted, <snip>
    I have had my crocheted afghans passed around at bridal and baby showers because they were handmade and people just thought it was a wonderful gift. I was even asked for the patterns a couple of times. That just made me feel so good. And one year, a long time ago, a friend and I used to exchange small gifts and the first words out of her mouth when she opened mine was "Oh good, I was hoping it was something you made yourself". To me, the ultimate compliment.

I have been to a couple of garage sales where knitting needles were sold more than crochet hooks. Maybe they are like me and refuse to part with anything crochet related.

LI Roe
    I did notice that my crocheted chemo hats had holes in them you could see bare skin thru' maybe that was why they don't accept crocheted chemo hats, I also donated scarves to go under the hats for that reason. I like the look of crochet much better and there is so much more variety.

to make something beautiful and useful is the ultimate in a love gift.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a lot of us start out knitting and then when it gets to crocheting find it difficult to convert to the pattern termiology . I find a lot of people can only do the basic granny squares and won't or don't want to stretch their learning into more detailed work .....so when the general public see these squares they think its old fashioned. Its up to us to put the word out there that there is just as much in beautiful crochet as there is in knitting....and it is far quicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you are right. Another thing I noticed about these yarn shops, they don't have crochet pattern books, hooks, etc.

4. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, at one "knit" shop crocheters are called "hookers!"

6. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hookers? How rude!
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the "granny square"

I live in Michigan and get the same thing everywhere. The problem has nothing to do with the granny square it's that crochet patterns are tired and old fashioned (this from a shop owner). Pick up any knitting mag/book and you will see old patterns that have been up dated with new yarns and reshaped for todays family. I've spent the last two years looking for a mans cardigan sweater pattern and all I could find were old, tired and filled with mistakes. There is nothing more upsetting than spending a lot of money and time on yarn and a project only to find it will not fit together or the size is all wrong. I spent close to $100 for yarn, pattern and finishing items only to find that the mans large from 1978 was more like a mans small now and that the sleeves didn't fit in correctly and were far to short. (yes the gauge was right)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by domar987 View Post
    I live in Michigan and get the same thing everywhere. The problem has nothing to do with the granny square it's that crochet patterns are tired and old fashioned (this from a shop owner). Pick up any knitting mag/book and you will see old patterns that have been up dated with new yarns and reshaped for todays family. I've spent the last two years looking for a mans cardigan sweater pattern and all I could find were old, tired and filled with mistakes. There is nothing more upsetting than spending a lot of money and time on yarn and a project only to find it will not fit together or the size is all wrong. I spent close to $100 for yarn, pattern and finishing items only to find that the mans large from 1978 was more like a mans small now and that the sleeves didn't fit in correctly and were far to short. (yes the gauge was right)
    What a shame as yes the crochet patterns have not been updates as much as knitting patterns as I do both. Don't know how to post attachments or would send a shawl that was first knitted then the lace was crocheted. Beautiful!

10. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by domar987 View Post
    as it is written: "The one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little."
    men, and women are bigger now, lol
    Bailey

12. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to add something else about "bias against crocheters" and only because I was in my local Goodwill store (just opened in January) and lately I have been finding more yarn. Anyway, today I was there again and found yarn for the second day in a row but what made me laugh was I also found two kits with yarn but both were knitting kits. Thought it was funny, knitting is supposed to be more popular than crocheting but now people are donating knitting kits, with yarn, dvd, knitting needles. Never have seen crochet kits being donated. Gee, who is popular now?? LOL.

LI Roe

14. Likes Carynjoyb, little drummer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the local shops around town, they have the yarn and hooks, but very few patterns. Most of the patterns I get on line or from books. My little group of knitters and crocheters is wonderful. We love our knitters and crocheters. There are 3 of us in the group that crochet. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by yarnoholic View Post
    Yes, you are right. Another thing I noticed about these yarn shops, they don't have crochet pattern books, hooks, etc.

16. Likes N/A liked this post