Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  165
Page 7 of 12 First ... 56789 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I have not been here in a few days and I am trying to catch up. Yes, I am currently owned by a very demanding red Chihuahua. Thank you for asking. She is a puzzle to me, very high strung. I always had Maltese and they are more relaxed. But we love her like a child.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsynr View Post
    And of course a chemo hat CANNOT be crochet!! What a bunch of idiots!!
    I suggest you crochet a few and when the donations are to be picked up, you just show up with your donation and maybe the so-called "ladies" will grow up, but don't get your heart set on it. Closed minds don't like to be upset by the truth...

Now as for Chemo hats not being Crochet. Ridiculous! I am a Leukemia Survivor and wore Chemo hats. Guess what ? They were Crochet and they were wonderful. I was bald as an eagle in the winter of 1999/2000 watched the Millennium come in from my hospital bed. For those of you who have never been bald you have idea how sensitive you head is to temperatures without hair. As for knit or crochet I can honestly say I do not think the recipient will be all that discriminating. So to you I say, if they don’t want your contributions, don’t let their problem become your problem. Carry on. I like to drop about 50 hats into the salvation army collection each winter.

4. Likes little drummer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh-never realized there was a thing about crocheting!!!!
    My Grandma taught me to knit when I was 12-- and did that till I was older
    But then learned how to crochet and never went back to knit
    Still have my knitting needles and look at them and think I should try
    again but never do
    Boy ! I don't like to hear that about Crochet !!!!!!

Hestoria

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my first post here and I just couldn't resist responding to this thread. Just this week I had 2 granddaughters...10 and 11 years old...come to me wanting to learn to 'crochet'! Taught them both in 2 days! They both have made dishcloths that are very pretty! They think Crocheting is ' awesome' and will continue on!

7. Likes N/A, little drummer, GrammaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stonewall, I think it is wonderful to pass our craft on to the younger generation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never realized there was a thing about Crochet and knitting--Used to knit years ago but when I learned crochet
    That was it!!Havent knit since !!!!
    Did think Id try knit again but looked at the needles and directions and put them away again

The way I feel --its whatever that makes you happy-you do!!
    Hestoria

10. Likes N/A, little drummer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    oooops sorry I answered twice==gosh all the rain we've been having must
    have fogged up my brain LOL

Hestoria

Post Thanks / Like
    I, too, have noticed that crocheters are often "looked down upon" and I still don't understand why people can be so narrowminded. When I read that chemo hats were not accepted because they are crocheted, it threw me for a loop (no pun intended, LOL). Chemo hats are needed for those going through tough times and to discriminate is only hurting those in need. No one has ever turned down items I donate because they were the wrong craft.

I was in a local yarn store that moved closer to where I live and I wandered in to see what they had. Beautiful yarns but out of my price range since most of what I do is for charity and I need more affordable and easy to care for yarns. Anyway, I happened to mention I was a crocheter, they were civil but you could see they prefer knitters since they said there were groups who came to work on projects and if I wanted to relearn knitting (used to years ago but love crochet more) they would be happy to help. I also noticed every sample worked up by the yarns were all knitted, not crocheted.

One craft store by me has chairs in the middle of their yarn department and two days a week there are women sitting there and the majority are crocheting, once in a while a knitter is knitting away. But in her bag, there was usually a completed crocheted project.

I have also learned who gets a handmade crocheted gift and who doesn't. One year I crocheted an afghan for my husbands' nephew since he had mentioned his dorm room was cold. When he moved in with my mother-in-law (was close to the university), I noticed it was not in his room, not sure what happened to it. But his mom (sil) asked me to make some items for a chinese auction in a neighboring state where she lives for the local fd benefit fund raising event they were holding. What I didn't know what that she loved the afghan I had made for my mil and wanted it (why she didn't ask me to make her one, I'll never know, both have passed) but she wanted it and would you believe, she won it at the chinese auction. And her friend wanted to win the pillows I crocheted and yes, she won them. Nah, don't think it was fixed, LOL. I have had my crocheted afghans passed around at bridal and baby showers because they were handmade and people just thought it was a wonderful gift. I was even asked for the patterns a couple of times. That just made me feel so good. And one year, a long time ago, a friend and I used to exchange small gifts and the first words out of her mouth when she opened mine was "Oh good, I was hoping it was something you made yourself". To me, the ultimate compliment.

Anyway, got off track as usual. But I just continue to say I love crochet and let it go at that. But I have had knitters say that they have tried crochet and just couldn't get the hang of it. I find though, that in a regular craft store, the people are less likely to put down crocheters, it seems that the LYS are the ones who snub more. Why, I don't know.

I have been to a couple of garage sales where knitting needles were sold more than crochet hooks. Maybe they are like me and refuse to part with anything crochet related.

LI Roe

13. Likes N/A, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed the same thing. It's as though they think you need real skill to knit, while crochet is for kids. But there are so many more stitches in crochet, I think. I ran into this attitude once, at a yarn shop. She was very helpful until I told her I crochet. She said "oh", and was gone. So when I left, I thanked her for knowing that crocheters have real skills and don't need help. I didn't buy anything, and I didn't go back. At another store, I buy tatting thread. Every time I do, the owner tells me how tatting is the cadillac of the needle arts. lol, I think she means bobbin lace. I get more respect for tatting, but crochet is far more useful.

15. Likes DinahRoberts, SMILE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I saw a short story on one of my yarn suppliers email, that talked of this, they were saying it would be good to combine both knitting and crocheting, I personally prefer crochet altho' I am ok in both, I like the airiness you can achieve with crochet so much easier than knitting.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength