Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  165
Page 4 of 12 First ... 23456 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet forever!

Just look in the retail stores - there is crochet in just about every article of women's clothing. It is so popular! I crochet many sweaters in all kinds of stitches and get a lot of compliments. I am not interested in knitting. The people who snub crocheters don't seem to be informed about how popular it is these days. I never understood why knitting is supposed to be superior to crocheting especially now when so many crochet patterns are available to make anything. I will still crochet even when the trend for crocheted retail clothing fades. It always seems to take a lot of time for new ideas to make a turnaround. I do understand what you mean by the attitude about crochet in yarn stores, as I experienced it last week and will not go back to that store.

2. Likes Carynjoyb, little drummer, missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Doris,
    Thanks for the listing.
    I love your brown Chihuahua. I have a cream one named Lilly. She thinks that she is a Rottie. Hates dogs but loves people.
    My crochet student is doing much better this week. She's finally getting it. I had her make a hot pad yesterday and made 2 color changes as well.
    Crochet is a wonderful craft, no matter what those "knitter only" people say.
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisAnn View Post
    To everyone who thinks crochet is just for granny squares and leftover yarn..............please visit my Blog Ideal Delusions
    For those of us who know better, the patterns are free. Over 160 counties and 360,000 persons cannot all be wrong

4. Likes DorisAnn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kayscrochetpatterns View Post
    GA see its that attitude that just about makes me crazy. I sell both crochet and knitting supplies but my love will always be crochet. I even get this from suppliers I deal with. One of them sent me a hardcover book of crochet stitches because it was a sample she got and she said she would never carry a crochet book for sale so I could just have it since I sell crochet supplies lol. I was happy to have the book but not so happy with the attitude. When I tell suppliers that I sell with an emphasis on crochet supplies they look at me like I am nuts.

Another thing I have found over the years that I think is interesting is crocheters crochet all year long. Most (not all) knitters hang their hooks up for summer and don't go back until fall. I could never go all summer without crocheting

Also I love CGOA but notice how many knitting classes they hold at the crochet conference. I was really surprised by that. Okay I just looked again and its callled the CGOA Knit & Crochet show. So strange.
    EXCUUUUSE MEEE! WHAT knitters "hang up" their NEEDLES in the summer? Don't U know that is when the winter sweaters/gloves/mittens/scarves HAVE TO BE DONE? Or do you suggest we wait until snow flies to make such things! U R showing the very attitude towards knitters which annoyed the original poster when hearing how "nonessential" crochet is!

Handwork is heirloom stuff whether it's sewn, knitted, crocheted, tatted, or any other handwork, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
    Last edited by Dsynr; 05-30-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! I can't believe what I've been reading! I learned to knit & crochet back in '66 but I liked crocheting more so that's what I do. I'm from Pittsburgh,PA but I lived in Alabama for 10 yrs. ('96 - '06) & as hot as it is down there people kept having me crochet things for them. I wish I had pics of the clothing & baby items I've done over the yrs! My middle daughter owns a beauty salon here & people that know me ask her on the regular "what's ur mom making this season?" I don't have time for a business but I crochet shrugs, blankies, booties, warm-up suits, skirts, just all kinds of items! I get most of my yarn locally but I wish one of the online distributors I deal with would snub their nose at crochet in my face...they'll get a piece of my crochet mind!!!! I love it n I'm gonna crochet til my hands fall off! Besides, knitting takes tooooo long!

7. Likes amanda, Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You are absolutely right. The Brighton Library had a group called People who Knit. I joined it and found the majority there were crocheting. I crocheted there. One day a lady came in and asked my why was I able to crochet in a group called People who Knit. I explained to her that some people don't realize that there is a difference. There are those who think that knitting covers anything done with yarn. I now direct a group called Yarnstars. Half of us crochet and half knit. Some people do both and xstitch also. I use the following in my info. "Crochet, embroider, or knit with a group of friendly crafters, teen thru adult. Share a skill or learn a new one." I don't have any bias against knitters, I do know how to knit, but I do not find it as versatile as crocheting.

9. Likes amanda, Carynjoyb, missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both knitted and crocheted for over 40 years as some patterns are made for one or the other as both are pretty. I have arthritis in my hands so changing from one to the other rests the hands so I always have both going. I don't know how to post pictures or I could post a picture of a knitted shawl with crocheted lace--beautiful!

11. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how people get misconceptions. I always correct anyone who asks what im "knitting". Actually, I get annoyed with things sent to me about knitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to add one more thing to this thread the proprietors of these business that act this way towards customers (snubbing them because the crochet and not knit) should be careful. You are there to purchase their good and services not someones else's goods and services which is exactly where you will be taking you business if they continue to act in that fashion.
    I am a firm believer in supporting my local economy however I will NOT support a person that has no respect for me. Luckily in the city I live in this is non issue as far as my crocheting goes the 3 places to by yarn as I said before carry both crochet and knitting supplies and there is no bias towards knitters or crochets.
    I know this story is a little off track but you will get my point in the end.
    However there is a store in town that I refuse to shop at and I don't care if he has what I want in his display window for buy 1 get 10 free he will not get a penny of my money ever. I have even told my hubby and my children they will not shop there either. The man was disrespectful not only to me as a woman but as a Marine a well. I was in the store and about to make a $200 purchase when he and another man were discussing Women in the Military and he said they had no business being in the military particularly in the Marines. I served in the Marines for 13 years I know there is a "GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB" those old Devil dogs that believe women don't belong in the Corps. So I asked when he served and what branch expecting the hear the Marines and some years in the in the 70 judging by his age and what I got was OH I never served in the Military. I hit the ceiling. I smiled and said "I have Served PROUDLY 13 years in United States Marine Corps! and you sir have just lost not only this sale but my business and my families." and I walked out leaving everything for him to put back on the shelves, and I have told other Marines as well of his attitude towards Women Marines and I know that most of them have also stopped shopping there as well. If he is the only place in town that carries what I need I will go to the internet and purchase it.
    and but the way I was talking to myself as I was walking out the door how the hell does man that never served day in his life have the damn right to say that women don't belong in the military you weren't man enough to go in and fight for your freedom but you think your man enough to judge a woman that is.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah-ah -ah -ah mmeeennnnnn, Ms. Bhaven!
    And while I'm at it, there's a new poster at the VA hospital where I work. It has a pic of a man and a woman. Beneath is the question, "Which one is the VETERAN?" Some people just don't get it. and some people suffer from an advanced case of "FOOT-IN-MOUTH"......
    Thank you for your years of service. () () ()

15. Likes little drummer, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm proud of you for serving in the military for the peace I'm enjoying! Hats off to you lady and many thanks. We women can bring home the bacon, and throw it out the back door if we choose! You are Tops in my book!

17. Likes little drummer, Magnolia Blossom liked this post