Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question..about hooks

Ok..I have been having lots of trouble with yarn splitting..someone told me that Boyle hooks sometimes make yarn split. I have been using mostly red heart yarn for most of my protects. My niece Kim who YES she joined here but doesn't POST(sorry Kim..get you butt in here and post girly..lol) told me she swears by Susan Bates hooks..she said she only use a Susan Bates J hook to make her gorgeous chevron stitch afghans and baby blanket..and yes they are BEAUTIFUL..my granddaughter Aleah has one she made..thanks Kim..anyway..before I babble on..What kind of hooks does everyone here use and what is the best in size? Just wanted to know as I never thought about hooks too much only size ..but this old girl is learning and wanting to learn..so TEACH ME..lol.

2. Likes missro007, MeerKat, kitty jean liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Tulip japanese hooks
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a lot of different hooks that I've accumulated since I started to crochet again. As to size, it is usually best to use the size hook that is recommended on the kind of yarn you are using, or if using a pattern, what the pattern recommends.

I crochet a lot with Red Heart, and find that for most things like afghans, the I hook is a good size.

I have a whole set of acrylic hooks that I got at Hobby Lobby. All different sizes. I also have many metal hooks. I prefer how the acrylic hooks feel in my hand, and use them the most. The acrylic hooks do not split the Red Heart when I crochet with them.

The acrylic hooks that I like the best are made by Susan Bates. You can find them online, and also at Joanns, Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

If you haven't shopped much online, try 123Stitch. They have good prices and reasonable shipping.
    Last edited by buggainok; 05-20-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

5. Likes missro007, kitty jean, vlpw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the acrylic set of hooks that I have by Susan Bates:

Susan Bates Crystalites Crochet Hook Set - Sizes G-K - 123Stitch.com
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like

Smile SB Fan

I use Susan Bates hooks almost exclusively. No yarn splitting issues with Red Heart or any other yarn. I use steel for the smaller sizes;acrylic for the larger. ACMoore.com has them if you can't get them locally. Happy stitching!

8. Likes kitty jean liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use susan bates hooks but mom preferred Boyle hooks so I have a set of each. but I always use mine. I have extra hooks in size g h i and j that way if I decide I want to work on a different project then I can keep the hook that I used for that project with it
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

10. Likes missro007, kitty jean, vlpw liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used strictly Boye hooks but as I was looking at them and at my ergonomic ProvoCraft hooks, I noticed that the tip of the ProvoCraft hook was blunter than the Boye hook. As I have been using them because of the arthritis in my fingers, I have also noticed that the yarn(Red Heart) as well as the cotton yarn does not split as much. You might was to check and go with a hook that has a blunter tip. Just a suggestion.--Jan

12. Likes missro007, vlpw liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Me2La, Welcome to the gang. Glad to have you. I use both the Boye And the Susan Bates Hooks. My preference is the top of the hook, some have a smooth top to them and some show more of a hook. I find I can't grab the yarn as well with the smooth hook. I think my daughter is having the same problem . My hooks are beginning to dwindle. I used to have several of each size but lately I am down to one of each. I don't mind . She is like me and travels with something to work on all the time. She came in the other day saying something about bulky yarn. I told her she needed a bigger hook for bulky yarn. Right now she is making pads to set hot pots on at the table. She does the grid then double crochets all around the grid. These will be part of her Christmas presents next year. Hope you can find one you like.

14. Likes angie22, vlpw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishjl View Post
    I have used strictly Boye hooks but as I was looking at them and at my ergonomic ProvoCraft hooks, I noticed that the tip of the ProvoCraft hook was blunter than the Boye hook. As I have been using them because of the arthritis in my fingers, I have also noticed that the yarn(Red Heart) as well as the cotton yarn does not split as much. You might was to check and go with a hook that has a blunter tip. Just a suggestion.--Jan
    Yes this is what my niece Kim also told me..should be more round or blunter hook so it doesn't split yarn..my boyles have a more taper to the end. I am wondering now..is bamboo or acrylic or metal different and why so..I know the acrylic or bamboo would be lighter ..maybe easier on my hands..not sure though

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I need a trip to AC moore..but without a car it is hard for me it is 25 miles from where I live. I think I am just gonna check out everyone on line..oh and btw..bugg..thanks for the link..I have that one saved too..I am learning about different sites to go to..I do like the prices on that site. I am certainly wanting a light up hook..for dark colors..I just have to get up some more funds now..lol

17. Likes vlpw liked this post