Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a mx of hooks some are boyle...which I love.. other's I have found in the dollar store... I have a set of redheart hooks... I used them when I had no other choice ( I detest using them now)... I put out the crazy amount of money for one of the crochet dude hooks... I love it.. the only thing that makes me a bit mental is that the grip is too close to the hook for some stitches... my mom swears by aero hooks... none of our stores carry them anymore....

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think our dollar store have hook..now I am going to look for them..we have 4 dollar store in the area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    I have been crocheting for years and only use Boyle hooks,I'm thinking its your yarn,I have had some yarns do this to me also,but like you I try to use Red Heart yarn.You could try a plastic hook their might be a small part of your hook that isn't smooth that also may be causing the problem.Hope this works for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I worked in a big yarn shop, I bought some ( Bernat?) that are teflon coated and I love them. I have been 'collecting' hooks for 50 yrs and have duplicates of every size. Don't have trouble with any of them unless I use that 'yarn so soft-? that you buy at Wal-Mart then the yarn splits so bad! I don't buy that yarn any more. Don't know about the ' modern' hooks. lol

5. Likes vlpw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes I tried the so soft stuff myself and took it all back...it was terrible. I use mostly red heart now. I think I have some Caron but not sure ..could even been Bernats..but I lost the label so I couldn't say for sure..lol. I will buy a few more hooks soon of different makers..just to see. I found a H hook that is rounded and doesn't even have a name on it ..or atleast I can't SEE one..lol I am gonna give it a try now as it is rounder on top just to see if this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about the ACMoore.com hint. Went to the site today & it's not available until 2014! Try joanns.com. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    Sorry about the ACMoore.com hint. Went to the site today & it's not available until 2014! Try joanns.com. Good Luck
    It is ok..because I can take a train into the town that has AC moores..I love going into the store..I could be there for hours lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used several different brands and sizes of hooks throughout the years, and the Susan Bates are hands-down my favorite. I've tried the Boyle numerous times and I just don't care for their shape at all. Sizes depend on the project I'm working on at the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just love the light up crochet hooks. I don't bother to light them up,as I can see well. The clear plastic on the hook simply works very well and rarely splits the yarn. Another trick is to rub your crochet hook with a used dryer softener sheet. Smoothing the yarn with your fingers as you work, before it gets to the hook also helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Nita2

hi! this is my first post so here goes .. I use susan bates and boyle hooks some times the yarn does split so i take a piece of fine sand paper and sand the hook tip just a little just take the shine off and this helps me hope it helps you.