Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone,
    Yes I have had that problem too. But I think mine is arthritis, as other things bother me too. They just ache sometimes, hope it doesn't get any worse. Misty

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I crochet for a living, I need to take care of my 'tools'. My hands will get cramps on occasion, but I've found that if I'm working on one project for a long time without a rest. I'll quite often have more than one project going at a time, each with different sized hooks.

And of course, stretch breaks every so often do help as well.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get 'cramps' but my hands do ache sometimes. I use some Icy Hot or Ben Gay along with some Aleve if it gets really bad. Usually that helps. That and stopping for the evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Painful hands

I have decided I need to give my thumb a rest. I have been just doing so much crocheting for the last several months and it is killing me lately. Could be in part caused from the change in weather too.
    And surprise surprise I am getting some cleaning done around my house....who knew? Hah

Happy stitching,
    Judi G.

Post Thanks / Like
    HI Judi
    Good for you. When your done you can clean my house.............I have it made. My granddaughter comes and cleans for me every other week and I pay her. She can use the money and I get the house cleaned. Works out really well. Misty

Post Thanks / Like
    I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and have also had the surgery to correct it. I crochet like i have a new wrist only a few times does it act up. I wear a wrist brace now also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I have, I have had carpal tunnel surgery & elbow surgey (both) 20 years ago. My surgeon is a magician. So far so good. I can tell you that you should take frequent breaks when crocheting. I also have Rheumatoid arthritis. I do frequent piano exercisess. When I worked, I typed all day. Pretend you are typing. Roll your wrists in different directions. It loosens your fingers with out stress. Get up and walk around the room and loosen your shoulders. Your shoulders will thank you. So will your butt.

Judy

8. Likes sarah1313 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have experienced the cramping and the thum pain quite often. I finally got smart and bought the glove mentioned and since then I have been pretty much pain free. I also found that when I am knitting if I use the circular needles rather then 2 needles, I do not get the pain in the arm and shoulders as the movement is different. I also have the paraffin wax machine that heats up and melts, yhou put yor hand into it and it forms a molded glove on your hand and then you slide you hand into a terry fabric glove and leave it on for a while. It works great, and is also used in a lot of salons, as they found it makes the cuticules nicer. Wasn't a very expensive item to buy, and neither is the paraffin when you need to purchase another block of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face hand/thumb cramps

thanks for the tips. I will take them run them by my doc. I appreciate it. I also crossstitch which uses my muscles a whole different way but similar. My doctor sez as long as I keep on exercising, I keep on moving. Crochet moves more muscles and nerves than I thought. The years crept up faster than I ever thought they would. It just seems yesterday I was working at the hospital, and I was the young'un bossing everyone around. Yeah, right!

Judy

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had this problem due to arthritis. My experience has been when I go long periods of time without activity such as crocheting the cramps are bad until I can readjust to the movement. Once I get settled in again it only seems to bother me when I crochet for very long periods of time such as when I am trying to finish a project more quickly.