Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I do experience cramps from time to time when I crochet or knit, especially if I had a long lull or break in between doing it and my hands are just getting used to holding the needle/s once again. I just take a break when that happens, and I just try to remember what my mom used to tell me - anything that is overdone is bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning,

Another thought is to remember to relax as much as possible when you are crocheting. Sometimes, I find myself not relaxing in how I hold my hook. I am tense at times. One of the main purposes of sitting down to crochet is to RELAX, as well as create a new project.

3. Likes kaisensei, yarnmama liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm... that is another thought alright Barbi. Most times, however, when I get so excited to finish my project, I tend to push myself hard to be able to come up with the finished output in the shortest time I could. I only get to feel the pain in my hands and arms the day after I work on my project Then again, you're right, the purpose of crocheting (or knitting for that matter) is to relax. That's why I usually do my stitches before I go to sleep and indeed it helps me calm down after a day's work. I should really keep these thoughts in mind!

5. Likes yarnmama liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I get joint pain, usually in my thumbs and more so in the hand I use to hold the work rather than the hook. I have arthritis so I've chalked it up to that but that compression glove sounds like it might help. Where did you get yours drice1976?

7. Likes suegray60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got the compression glove at a fabric store. You might be able to find it there or online. It works great. I can't seem to find mine at the moment, however, but when I do I will start wearing it again. It definitely helps me crochet longer and without all of the annoying cramps and stiffness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by giftedchild View Post
    Yes, I do experience cramps from time to time when I crochet or knit, especially if I had a long lull or break in between doing it and my hands are just getting used to holding the needle/s once again. I just take a break when that happens, and I just try to remember what my mom used to tell me - anything that is overdone is bad.
    Thanks thats good sound advice right there! LOL. Actually, that's what I end up doing. I have to take a lot of breaks though coz the cramps really get to me!

@Barbara - Yeah that could be a reason as well. I try to relax, I really do! But when I'm in a hurry to finish it, I do tense up and well I guess that is a result. I wonder though if using a squeeze ball to exercise my hand is a good idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Using a squeeze ball is a great idea! It could even be used before crocheting to "warm" your hands up. This could help those who deal with stiffness, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I very often get cramps in my hands while crocheting and it is usually caused from doing way too much at once. It does get better as time goes on so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I hope this helps you

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes, I gave it up for a good 20 years. I have arthritis in my hands, now that I am retired and home alone for some many hours each day I started back crocheting about a two years ago. I take Ibuprofen and just deal with it. I refuse to allow it to stop me this time. Besides I need it to keep me from going goofy being home so much. I have found putting my hands in warm water helps them feel better. Some times I wash the dishes rather then putting them in the dish washer, it helps and saves on my electric bill......leaving more $ for yarn....LOL
    Good Luck
    Judi Gums

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    Oh yes, I gave it up for a good 20 years. I have arthritis in my hands, now that I am retired and home alone for some many hours each day I started back crocheting about a two years ago. I take Ibuprofen and just deal with it. I refuse to allow it to stop me this time. Besides I need it to keep me from going goofy being home so much. I have found putting my hands in warm water helps them feel better. Some times I wash the dishes rather then putting them in the dish washer, it helps and saves on my electric bill......leaving more $ for yarn....LOL
    Good Luck
    Judi Gums
    Hi Judi! Thanks so much. The warm water is an idea.. though wouldn't that cause more harm than good coz I think I heard it somewhere that you shouldn't wet your hands if you are tired or something like that coz it can cause your hand to be sweaty and may cause spasms on the hands? In our country, the elderly advise us not to do it coz it will cause "pasma" - I'm not sure about the direct translation to English. When I googled it, the tagalog word "Pasma" is called "Spasm" in English. Anyway, maybe the key is heat? Wonder if a warm water bottle would help. The cramps are horrid.. it makes me stop what I'm doing like every 15 seconds. Doing it slowly helps but thats the irritating part.. its soooo slow! LOL!

ANYWAY, thank you everyone for your very helpful comments!