Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestions for teaching a deaf person to crochet?

I also have a deaf friend I want to teach to crochet. I'm keeping separate posts in case these suggestions will help others also. She can see, so I think that will help. She does have some mental challenges. But can read and write and sign, so I'm sure she could handle this.

Any thoughts on ways to make this easier?
    Again, I'm open to teaching her other crafts too (Not knitting though, as I don't really want to learn that - no offense, just not enough time in a day)
    I have supplies for jewelry making, so I will probably teach her beading also.
    Thanks for any help.

Crochet with Joy
    Joys Crochet Boutique on Etsy

2. Likes missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Visualizations would help: watching you demonstrate basic crochet stitches along with illustrations(youtube videos/draw the steps) and writing the steps in simple language would be helpful to her. Poster boards would work great for drawing and writing. Dry erase or chalkboard for quick demos/points of emphasis too! Use a different crochet hook and yarn to show the gradual process of making a stich should also be helpful!

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

4. Likes missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use utube. Good luck. I dont know if there would be anything for deaf or not. You could google it. Have fun crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Some good ideas. I know she can see. But all those visual cues will help expain the steps. The different colors for different steps would be good. I could easily do that on paper.
    Right now she wants to go out. But I want to be ready for when we hit some nasty storm days. Thanks.
    Joy Ann

Post Thanks / Like
    Learning to crochet when you are deaf is not difficult...I learned stitches from watching my grandma, looked at patterns and have a pocket stitch reference book. I personally don't like youtube. Clearly written instructions and my references were all I needed to get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Kary. Good advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple that is deaf and are my close friends; it's just patients, the wife looses interest fast and wants to sign while doing something else. So it's OK to go slow when teaching.....happy crocheting.

10. Likes missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure to use a LARGE hook when getting started so she can see AND feel the shape of the stitches. You don't say if you can sign? You might want to the United Way in your area to find out which organizations work with the deaf. They may have craft resources available for the deaf.

You might find the same information with an online search.

12. Likes missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does she read lips?..if so just sit across from her and explain what you are doing..I am sure she will pick up on what you are showing her. One step at a time just as you would a hearing person..good luck..I am sure it will be fine.

14. Likes missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good ideas everyone. She does sign, she's teaching me. And she reads lips a little if you're acting it out also. And we text,write or IM each other. And her MR is not that bad, so I think she's smart enough to do it. If she's willing to persevere. Right now with the nice weather she just wants to go out, so I'll just wait til she's ready. But I will check with the United Way.

16. Likes Anaisa liked this post