Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I saved all these suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great opportunity for U to learn another language: ASL [American sign Language]. For now, make sure your student is watching your face when you give instructions. Use pictures you find in learn-to books or online. I suggest U show your student how to use uTube with "Captions ON" for when U R not around to help her.

Post Thanks / Like

Teaching a deaf person to crochet.

I see you are in need of some help. There are two ways to teach as deaf person to crochet. Use video are let them watch hou crochet. Go slow. Another way is to get a book on sign language. It is called American Sign Language or ASL. I got mine from Hastings Book Store. If they don't know sign language they they need to be taught sign language.. I would suggest either a teacher or on public TV there is a sign language teacher that comes on early in the afternoon central daylight time. It is called Signing Time. It is where I first got envolved with ASL.
    Good luck.

4. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyannerose View Post
    I also have a deaf friend I want to teach to crochet. I'm keeping separate posts in case these suggestions will help others also. She can see, so I think that will help. She does have some mental challenges. But can read and write and sign, so I'm sure she could handle this.

Any thoughts on ways to make this easier?
    Again, I'm open to teaching her other crafts too (Not knitting though, as I don't really want to learn that - no offense, just not enough time in a day)
    I have supplies for jewelry making, so I will probably teach her beading also.
    Thanks for any help.

Crochet with Joy
    Joys Crochet Boutique on Etsy
    Set up a tutorial and as you show the steps for crocheting, stop and start the video until she gets the hang of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes things never do get easy. It is the difficult challeges that I like. I figure that if they are too easy that I am doing Childrens homework and that isn't teaching them anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Percival View Post
    Sometimes things never do get easy. It is the difficult challeges that I like. I figure that if they are too easy that I am doing Childrens homework and that isn't teaching them anything.
    We hearing people sometimes forget we can't "talk" to a deaf person unless the person can see our lips. Be sure the person is able to see your face when giving instructions. Remember the old movie with Loretta Young when she closed her eyes and told the hero "I can't hear you!"?