Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  76
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Grandchildren????

This has nothing to do with crocheting directly, but I am just wondering how many others are in my shoes and have their grandchildren living with them? It is on my mind more this morning as mine have kept me so busy this week with Dr. appointments and misc. chores.......takes away from my crochet time you know..lol.

I love them being here, but I do find it was much easier when I had more energy hah! And I have plenty of people to crochet things for, which we all love.

My daughter and her three children, 2 boys and 1 girl live with us and have most of their lives. They moved out for a brief while a few years ago and the kids were not happy at all where they were. Plus my daughter was in an abusive relationship, which led to the kids unhappiness greatly. So we are very glad they are all back here and safe.

Just wondering. Times are hard with the economy as it is these days too.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    We don't have anyone living with us now, but recently my son lost his job and was going to be homeless. Long story short, he lived with me and my husband, who is his stepdad for 2 years. It was very stessful We are so glad it is just the 2 of us now. Would do it for any of our children but it was hard. Know where you are coming from. My son has a good job now and just got marriried to a really nice lady who is a school teacher. That is a load of worry lifted off of me. God is good! Hugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    my boys and I live with my parents.. there is extra hands around to help me when middle one is having a bad day. Also with the prices for rentals here are insane so with all of us (5 adults 3 kids) we can live in a safe house/neighborhood.

4. Likes amanda, justplainjudy, Teri, caroltheteach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Judi Gums, I don't have my grand children living with me, but they are here from 7-7 and sometimes even longer. I watch 4 yr. old twins daily, a 2 yr. old 3 times a week. I get the girls to dancing twice a week, twins to preschool twice a week, speech twice a week, and take my 11 yr. old crocheting on Wed. evenings with me. I agree it's hard to work with them around, but I don't think I'd trade it for 24 hrs. of no grandchildren around at all. Their other grandma and grandpa see them maybe once a year, and the kids don't really know them, but what's worse, is the grandparents don't know their own grandchildren and are missing the world. Hang in there, they grow up fast. caroltheteach

6. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am with you Caroltheteach, I wouldn't trade having the kids here for the world. It was a lonely house when they were gone for a few short months. I just remember going through it all with their mom when I had more energy to do all the running....lol.

I have heard reports of many grandparents raising their grandkids, we are helping but their mom is here to take on the difficult parts. Changes in the economy have sure made it hard on everyone these days. I can remember when I first moved out on my own, heck, you couldn't get along one week for what we had to live on for a month back then. Who would have dreamed??

Grandkids keep us going, and before we know it they will be out on there own.

Judi G

8. Likes amanda, missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingnowhere View Post
    my boys and I live with my parents.. there is extra hands around to help me when middle one is having a bad day. Also with the prices for rentals here are insane so with all of us (5 adults 3 kids) we can live in a safe house/neighborhood.
    Isn't it amazing on how much you can squeeze together when you have to? But it's nice not to have to have a little elbow room too.

Judi G

10. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We have had it both ways, and I'd prefer a middle if possible! When they lived near us, they were here a lot (almost every day but not all day). Now they live about 2 hrs away, might as well be China. I can't get there very often, and due to kids' school, and the numbers of them (4), we just don't have enough room for visits in this small house. Also , we have one son who still lives here and is helping to refurbish this house. For a time, dd and the kids stayed here right after they moved, b/c they couldn't find a place to live where her dh was working. Although they had only 3 kids then, it involved someone sleeping on the couch , etc. I do miss the kids, though. They have a small house now, and hope to get a larger one soon, then maybe I can visit them.Their other grandparents live closer to them, so get to see them more often. We do Facetime on ds #1's computer, but I feel that the youngest one (8 mos) doesn't know me, although I was there for his birth and stayed for a month. I guess there is no happy medium!

12. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    Isn't it amazing on how much you can squeeze together when you have to? But it's nice not to have to have a little elbow room too.

Judi G
    oh boy is it ever.. we had all eight of us in a tiny three bedroon townhouse for a few months... the place we are in now has six bedrooms two living rooms and three bathrooms.... lots of elbow room to go around lol

14. Likes Judi Gums, amanda, Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    mine don't live with me but my granddaughter brings her daughter over and I take care of her at times and when she is here there is no crocheting unless she is sleeping or she is helping me crochet. she wants undivided attention plus she don't like dogs and cats and we have one of each
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

16. Likes amanda, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The DD just graduated. Now she's job-hunting, and living at home; but jobs are scarce as hen's teeth these days, even with a degree.
    To say nothing about those STUDENT LOANS........
    The GS had it easier. He had to relocate; but he found a job right away. He has his own business now and is doing fine, thank God!
    Last edited by Dsynr; 05-17-2013 at 12:46 PM.

18. Likes amanda liked this post