Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy It has taken me more than 40 yrs to realize I am allergic to most yarn.....

I do not just get the runny nose an watery eyes but a full blown sinus infection. Happens everytime I use baby or 4 ply type of yarn. I've even tried only crocheting outside an still got the sinus infection but not as bad as crocheting indoors.

I used to enjoy the bedspread cotton/doily thread but my eyes are not what they once was either.

I'm gonna look silly wearing a mask while crocheting but that might be my only option unless I want to be sick everytime I crochet. It's not like I do it daily I do go in spurts at it....I'd like to make a layette set for new Gbaby tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ! Take care of yourself! Unfortunately I make only doilies and cannot help with book
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Say it isn't so. If you take the allergy tablets every day, does that help?
    Cotton worsted weight and make towels and dish clothes. Maybe?
    Not nice that something you love to do is not good for you.

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey that's and idea, the mask.....I'm so sorry that you have allergies to yarn...maybe someone will come like GrammaJoe and give other ideas and for those who don't know why, you've helped......happy trying to figure out how to crochet to ya....

6. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey clueless how are you doing -----i also have allergies to yarn --if you spray your nose with allergy spray it will help. I use nasalcrom------_hope it helps -------bettybee

Post Thanks / Like
    To all who have allergies to yarn lay your needle down WOWWWWWWWWWWW. I at 73 yes never new anyone who was allergic to yarn. I dont know what to say haha really I wish I knew of some intelligent way to help. I respect you all more now then I have for your great items you have crochet. Everyone is different too????? Thinking of some answer to help??????

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my dear, so sad for you bout yarn. I'm sure you have tried other kinds. Can U try 100% wool, 100% cotton or Organic yarn? Does this bother U too? There has got to be something out there for you. Keep searching those sites!

Deana

To thy Own Self be true

Quote Originally Posted by clueless1959 View Post
    I do not just get the runny nose an watery eyes but a full blown sinus infection. Happens everytime I use baby or 4 ply type of yarn. I've even tried only crocheting outside an still got the sinus infection but not as bad as crocheting indoors.

I used to enjoy the bedspread cotton/doily thread but my eyes are not what they once was either.

I'm gonna look silly wearing a mask while crocheting but that might be my only option unless I want to be sick everytime I crochet. It's not like I do it daily I do go in spurts at it....I'd like to make a layette set for new Gbaby tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry about looking silly wearing a mask. Go ahead and enjoy what's left of life, we aren't guaranteed tomorrow. I enjoy working out doors but the outdoors doesn't love me...so I wear a mask and let people think what they will. When I was going through chemo I had to wear a mask to go out in public. First time felt strange but after that, no big deal. Besides, who is going to see you in your home or on your patio but friends and family and they certainly will understand.

11. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Clueless, I can empathize with you. For YEARS I constantly broke out into hives whenever I did any crocheting. Could not understand why, since I was using acrylic yarn as I am highly allergic to wool. Finally, Dr. discovered that I was allergic to, not the yarn, but the lanolin that is used to soften ALL yarn. Natural or synthetic fibers. After getting a Rx for a cream that I rub on my hands and arms before I start crocheting, my life has been A LOT easier and happier. Maybe your dermatologist can help. Hope so. But don't worry about the mask. It is so common now, most people don't even notice it. Good luck!!--Jan

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with selegear and Irish, wear the mask, and anyone who makes fun od you should be ashamed of themselves, when I use to work in my flower garden in the spring, I had to wear a mask, and to heck with what others think.
    BettyBee I never heard of Nasalcrom. Do you get it OTC or do you have to have a prescription for it?