Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmajenny View Post
    Butterflyrose, Welcome to the challenge of making crochet clothing. I make clothes all the time, for myself, my daughter and my grand kids, and I have even been paid to crochet a sweater or 2. The first lesson I had to learn was the importance of gauge, and to recheck my gauge and to measure, then measure again, and to continue to check the dimensions of each part of the garment as I went along. When I hear someone tell me that they knit or crochet to gauge I know that I have mete someone who has never finished a garment that has fit. No one crochets or knits to gauge, I always have to change the needle size when I am crocheting off a pattern.

The type of fiber content in the yarn and the weight of the yarn is very important also, how the yarn will drape when worked up. You have already selected your yarn which means you need to find a pattern that uses that weight type ex. 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I like to stay in the 2 range when crocheting clothing, crochet lends itself to thick stitches and garments.

Below is the name of a book I found very helpful, I checked it out of the library or you can get it on Amazon.

Custom-Crocheted-Sweaters-Garments that Really Fit by Dora Ohrenstein

In answer to your question as to what the first garment I made, I will add that I made that fit and I actually wear. Is a cardigan I have posted a picture of me wearing it with the Grand kids.

Below is a sweater pattern I made from Redheart yarn that you can use with 4 weight yarn, and I think it is a good beginning sweater. After you make a garment and wear it you will get picky about the yarn you use, because you will find that the cheaper yarns do not hold up as well, they pill and they just don't feel as nice next to your skin. I know the Redheart yarns have nice colors and are easy to find but when made up they feel stiff, and they pill up terribly. When I can afford to use natural fibers, cotton, alpaca, merino wool, silk etc I get an end result that lasts longer.

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW3087.pdf

Good luck, and happy hooking.
    Your expert advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you for all of the information you've provided. I am honored. Oh yes, I did go shopping and bought some natural bamboo yarn to use for my first article of clothing instead of the mixed fibers. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 05-09-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

2. Likes grandmajenny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago I only crocheted doilies and afghans but one day I saw a pattern for a red crocheted dress and I fell in love with it. I just had to have it! So I made that dress and wore it proudly (I was a skinny little thing back then). I received many compliments on it and that encouraged me to do other things. I had a little boy at that time (he is now 45 years old : ) so I made him a couple sweater vests which turned out so cute. I still have a school pic of him wearing one of the vest. Don't know which is cuter, him or the vest!: ). After that I decided I could make whatever I wanted to make and now there are so many different items and pattern to choose from that I find I just don't have enough time to make all the things I want to make.

4. Likes grandmajenny, Butterflyrose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It was the collar from the old [c1940's] "Learn How Book".
    After that I made a couple of hats from a WWII Era book my Mom had. I was home in bed recovering from a childhood illness--just well enough to be a brat and still too sick to be up---and Mom gave me her leftovers, hooks, and needles and told me to "Make something!"
    I taught myself to knit, too. I started a sweater and cast on the back and both fronts. I ran out of yarn and the sweater became a scarf. I was about nine or ten because we lived on a certain street then with my friends next door. We girls used to chat from our rooms because there was an open space between the houses right in the center and our windows looked out over it. We strung a "telephone" between the windows. What fun!

6. Likes grandmajenny, missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My granddaughter picked out some bright primary colors yarn and wanted grammy to make a hat and scarf last winter. I did and both the hat and scarf were too itchy ($8.99 a skein). Hopefully the dolly can wear them!!!!! Years and years ago my aunt wanted to knit "something", so she made a black and white long skirt with the stripes going around, and then gifted it to ME for Christmas. Bless her heart it was awful but it came from her and all the hours she must have spent!!!!

8. Likes grandmajenny, N/A, missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool first clothing crochet

Quote Originally Posted by butterflyrose View Post
    I've reached the point of wanting to expanding my crochet horizons. I'm ready to crochet my very 1st article of clothing to wear. I think I can! I think I can! I've crocheted hats, scarves, gloves, booties, purse pouch and my 1st pair of slippers, washcloths, facial scrubbies, dishcloths, potholders, flowers and napkin rings and Christmas ornaments. Now, it's time for me to groooooooow!

What was the 1st piece of clothing that you crocheted? Please suggest an EASY article of clothing for me to crochet.

BTW, I bought 6 skeins of yarn(50 grams each) to make this special piece. The yarn is a mixed fiber in a beautiful blue with strands of tan. It has a lovely sheen also.

Thanks in advance for your responses,
    ~Beverly~
    Consider a granny square jacket - colorful & useful!

10. Likes grandmajenny, Lili liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a few hats while I recovered from some childhood illness minny yeers ago.....
    I started to knit when I had children and didn't crochet any more.
    Now, I am re-learning crochet and having a ball!

12. Likes grandmajenny, N/A, missro007 liked this post