Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Inspiration

Post Thanks / Like
    I am inspired by the rains that have finally come to Northern California. Cooler weather motivates me. I promised my son green hats at the end of last "winter" (It only goes down to the high 20s for a short bit, mostly rains), but didn't get around to it. Today, I opened the bag containing that green yarn. Time to get cracking!

Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter is grown but she has no patience for it. My granddaughter may be the one I have to wait for. She is not yet 2! Hopefully she wants to learn because I would love to pass this craft on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by writer_crafter View Post
    I wish I had someone to teach! I learned from my mother and grandmother, but to my knowledge I am the only one in my generation who crochets. I've tried teaching my younger brother, but as he's only ten, he's a bit too impatient still. When I have kids I will definitely teach them, though.
    Same problem here I do not have a daughter, I only have 2 sons, and I do not see the initiative to learn the craft in any of them. They even think that crocheting is only for old people! So sad... Also, both of my nieces live far from my house so I don't have anyone to teach!

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't it sad that so many people see crochet as being only for old people? And men when they allow themselves to get into it seem to have tons of talent and vision on what to make. One of my local knit/crochet groups was started by a man who is doing such a great job of holding it all together, he gets speakers to come in and teach us about yarn dying and hand spinning, it is really a lot of fun. I am only one of two crocheters who go regularly to the monthly meetings, but I don't care. I love seeing the projects others are working on and having such a good time getting together with everyone.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by giftedchild View Post
    Same problem here I do not have a daughter, I only have 2 sons, and I do not see the initiative to learn the craft in any of them. They even think that crocheting is only for old people! So sad... Also, both of my nieces live far from my house so I don't have anyone to teach!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to teach my daughters to crochet when they were younger. Didn't work out too well, but one of them now knits
    I too crochet things that I like or want to just try out the pattern! My solution? I started selling a Craft Fairs. I don't make a lot but now I don't feel guilty when I make something just for the sake of making it! I'm so glad I'm not alone!

Post Thanks / Like
    You are talking about the yarn arts being "just for old people" and I have to laugh. When I was 13, I was picked for a role in the school play. I was a little old lady on a jury. I had to wear baby powder on my hair to make it look gray and they drew all kinds of lines on my face to make me look wrinkled & old. The topper was that I had to knit through the whole play so I learned to knit then. The night of the play, as the final curtain closed, my ball of yarn rolled off my lap and out under the curtain. I scrambled to catch it before it rolled off the stage and I heard the laughter as everyone saw my arm groping around under curtain trying to find the yarn.When the curtain opened for us to take a curtain call, I got a standing ovation.I am still not sure if it was for the performance or for catching the yarn. I have been a knitter ever since though. lol

7. Likes Patti Hale, Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love your story Theresa.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    You could always make 'lapghan's for the folks at the nursing homes. We have a few ladies that get together and do that. We make a few and then take them to the nursing home and the ladies that work there know who could use one. Great for folks in wheel chairs or just like sitting and watching TV. Not too big or bulky. Happy crocheting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I try to keep extra baby afgans on hand. They seem to always come in handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned when I was a teenager. Neither one of my girls showed any interest when they were younger. Now my oldest one crochets, mostly scarves, and she makes alot of beaded jewelry. I started to teach my son's g/f how to crochet. She did it for a couple of days then set it aside for a couple of months. Now she is interested in trying again. Between her working and going to school we need to find time to sit down for lessons.