Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Cotton yarn?

Post Thanks / Like

Cotton yarn?

Does cotton make your pattern smaller, making a hat, does it mean it will be smaller since I'm using cotton yarn?
    Amy's DIY Frugal Life Blog
    https://amysdiyfrugallife.com/

2. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No. Cotton is what your yarn is made of. Cotton yarn can be found in different weights the same as yarn made from other fibers. Just use the weight your pattern calls for and check your gauge the same way you would any project. That said I would be careful when washing the finished item. I'm not sure if cotton yarn is prone to shrink the way cotton fabric does.

4. Likes Anaisa, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    the dish cloths I made from cotton yarn shrinked.

6. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    most thing that are crocheted with cotton thread shrink I found the mercerized thread doesn't shrink as bad
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

8. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just LOVE benefiting for all the crochet experience there is here from yawl!!

10. Likes Sonnettina liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't put them in the dryer and line dry it doesn't shrink...but be careful if your crochet is too wet it will stretch ......

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are excellent comments and sooooo true! Love this website for all the various types of information one can find here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made some dishcloths with cotton yarn, and they did shrink pretty much. That said, cotton is my least favorite to work with. I hate that there is no "give" to it.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I happen to LOVE working with cotton yarn. I make a lot of dishcloths and washcloths; coasters, scrubbies, etc. and sell them at bazaars. I also keep a nice assortment and colors on hand to give as gifts to friends who stop by to visit or when I've been invited to a friend's home. I only use Sugar & Creme cotton - it's softer and easier to work with. Peaches & Cream is a little thinner and is stiff to work with. I throw my cloths in the washer with towels and the dryer too. I always take the dishcloths out of the driver after about 5 minutes. They are still wet. I lay them on top of the dryer, finger block them and when dry, they are good to go. Also, don't discard them if they get stained or really start looking old. I always keep a few "wet ones" in a zip lock bag under the front seat of my car. I can't tell you how many times these have some in handy to wipe my hands or even spills. I also use dry ones to clean mirrors, glass sliding doors, and have a small stash in the car to wipe the foggy windshield. They do make a nice cotton blend yarn that is good for hats and scarves - very soft, easy to work with and not scratchy.
    Bobbie