Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: a name for it

Post Thanks / Like
    You are crocheting in the back loop only. You can do this in any number of stitches or in complete row. It is a fairly common instruction in patterns. You can also crochet in the front loop only. I think You Tube has videos on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    In most patterns you would work your stitches through both loops of the stitch unless otherwise specified. Working through the back loop creates the ridge you describe and it also adds more stretch to the crocheted piece. If you were to slip stitch and turn your work and want to continue the ridges on the same side, then you would have to crochet into the front loop in order to keep that ridged look. However I would not suggest this as it may look slightly different.

3. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mamarose22 View Post
    In most patterns you would work your stitches through both loops of the stitch unless otherwise specified. Working through the back loop creates the ridge you describe and it also adds more stretch to the crocheted piece. If you were to slip stitch and turn your work and want to continue the ridges on the same side, then you would have to crochet into the front loop in order to keep that ridged look. However I would not suggest this as it may look slightly different.
    thanks, I probably won't do this again. I don't need stretch and I'm wondering how it'll look when I have to turn the work. I appreciate your input.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

Post Thanks / Like
    I make things using that stitch. All I have ever seen on patterns is just says go into the back loop only. It doesn't give it a special name. I love doing the half double crochet and using the back loop only when making scarves. I think they look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luapmerriam View Post
    I make things using that stitch. All I have ever seen on patterns is just says go into the back loop only. It doesn't give it a special name. I love doing the half double crochet and using the back loop only when making scarves. I think they look good.
    yes they look different front and back. I just started using the half double but I love it.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

Post Thanks / Like
    Its Called Back Loop Stitching Using What Ever Crochet stitch you like Sc,DblEtc

8. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    well I'm tearing it all out, I was crocheting it in the round and realized when it got to be 12 feet long and still just 2 1/2 feet wide it wasn't working. so I've modified it a lot including taking out the back loop stitch, I'm doing three rows of each color in Half doubles, the ends only one row for each color are in singles and the original chain was only 2 1/2 feet long. I've also added a light lavender to the original color. The thing is; I crochet for therapy so it's no big deal
    Bailey

Post Thanks / Like
    There are patterns that have where you use the back or front of a stitch but as of right now I can't think of the name or if it has a name! I made a ripple blanket with back loop only and for Christmas I made my trees or something with front loop only! Oh ! BACK LOOP STITCH and front loop stitch is what they call them! That's how I crochet some of my patterns whether they call for it or not because it has a neat affect! I just realized you posted this at the beginning of the month! That is great therapy to crochet, it is very relaxing and good therapy good luck with what you are crocheting now!YOUR FRIEND MANDA!
    Last edited by amanda; 03-21-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a beautiful creation. I am so proud of you and love what you did. It has a great look. Thanks for sharing.

Annette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda View Post
    There are patterns that have where you use the back or front of a stitch but as of right now I can't think of the name or if it has a name! I made a ripple blanket with back loop only and for Christmas I made my trees or something with front loop only! Oh ! BACK LOOP STITCH and front loop stitch is what they call them! That's how I crochet some of my patterns whether they call for it or not because it has a neat affect! I just realized you posted this at the beginning of the month! That is great therapy to crochet, it is very relaxing and good therapy good luck with what you are crocheting now!YOUR FRIEND MANDA!
    thanks, friend. I'm still making the blanket but it's gonna be for next year I think. when I don't spend a few Hours crocheting my hands just seize up.
    Bailey

13. Likes amanda liked this post