Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: a name for it

Post Thanks / Like

a name for it

I'm making an Afghan and I'm only using Half doubles and single crochet stitches, I've gotten into the habit of picking up the back loops of stitches, It gives a way different look to the blanket, the back [I'm making this in the round] is all flat, it looks like all SC and the front is all lines. It looks great. Is there a name for making the crochet stitches this way? I'm self-taught so I don't know these things.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

2. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good question.. wish I knew the answer for you... The afghan sounds like it looks amazing so far....

4. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it, the look is just so different I thought it must have a name for it.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength

6. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Could we see a picture of it? I would love to see it, it sounds amazing! Good for you for making it up as you go! I have a lot of fun doing that!

Post Thanks / Like
    here is the back
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psc533feb6.jpg

and the front you can see it makes lines, look at the top rows especially
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psa0ab980c.jpg

can you see the difference? I'm planning to quit going around it and turn the work but I want to, maintain this pattern, but I'm not sure how, but it's getting so long and I want it much wider.
    Bailey

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the individual stitches have names, but so far I haven't heard of one for the exact pattern you put together.

I did an afghan a couple years ago using several rows of the seed stitch, then a few rows of HDC going into only the back loop. It gives a really nice look. I changed colors each stitch change and in a different one I used all one color, a med. blue.

Judi G

10. Likes Val liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bailey, I think this is YOUR creation and you can give it any name you want to. You have put together a variety of crochet stitches and have made a lovely afghan! I LOVE the colours you selected, they are beautiful together!!

Post Thanks / Like
    um, I do know that using the back loops has a name, back post only, and half double crochet is a stitch; but that's the neatness of crocheting, you can make something unique...thanks for sharing and getting our brain pans a working....happy crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    this is nothing like a back or front post stitch, I love those stitches but these are regular half doubles and SC except you pull the back loops [you push the hook into the back two of the foundation or former stitch] where you pull the thread thru'.

Does that make ANY sense?
    Last edited by bailey36; 03-07-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Bailey

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the back loop when making a ripple afghan. I don't think there is a name. what you are doing is creating your own pattern. hope you share when you are finish.