Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Joing "left over yarn" to main

Hello,
    I would like to know other tips on how to join left over yarn to your suppy. If you are making something and have leftover yarn and decide to make something else with the same color and do not want to join by crocheting or knitting into the work, do you join by a tie knot or are there other ways. Also, I have notice that white yarn has many different shades and I would like to know that I am using the same the color of white.

Thank You,
    Laura
    Last edited by shorty; 12-16-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a Russian join and there is a thread/post w/ a video that shows another neat join that fails me right now. Happy crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried looking at you tube videos? they are very helpful, not that the one's posted here are not but just another view.
    Happy stitching and good luck
    Erika

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I've found that the best way to determine if I'm using the same colour of white (or any other colour) is to check the label on the ball.

If the label says 'no dye lot' then all balls that you purchase with that colour name will be the same colour.

However, if there is a dye lot on the label, then the only way to ensure that you have exactly the same colour is to make sure that the dye lots match.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    When using up left over yarn I don't always have the label any longer, I have mixed different whites as long as they are close by working them in different areas of the work, such as in a granny square, I would make several rows of the colors and put another row of white between colored rows. Most of the time it won't show, but check it out closely before putting it together. I normally try to take mine into the sun to get a good look at my colors.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

JOINS: I usually use the Russian Join or Braided Join. I don't trust knots. I don't care how good people say they are; knots are prone to failure over the long term.
    uTube has videos on those joins that are far better than any explanation I could give here.

WHITE YARNS: If I am working with "same colour" yarns that may be from different dye lots, I either alternate rows of those yarns OR separate the rows with another colour so the difference is not so noticeable.
    I have also separated "white" yarns and worked them one by one from the darkest to the lightest or vice versa so the work looks "shaded" when complete.
    Last edited by Dsynr; 12-26-2012 at 07:40 AM.

8. Likes Judi Gums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally perfer the Russian Join. As soon as I learned how to do it, I don't use any other join. It will not come undone in your work and it is difficult to see in your work. It is just a little thicker but not by much. Just mho. You Tube has a video for it. I'm not sure if there is one on this site or not but I know You Tube has one.
    Barby Sue
    Be who you are and say what you mean