Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  49
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep that sums it up! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    When my left handed son was young, scissors were difficult to find i was told they make scissors that can be used for left or right handed now (just one pair of scissors). I don't know about now but troy uses the kitchen knife block scissors and they work. Teaching to them to write is a task in its self, i was a preeschool teacher then and i just held their hand and traced with them my x tried to make him use his right hand he didn't know his son was left handed who i taught to read and write. I used a weird technique find a book like "SEE SPOT RUN" have him read one line then write that line. I may have the wrong book. Every child is different and learns in different ways. Try a mirror it sometimes works. GOOD LUCK!

3. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry! I could be wrong everyone has great ideas just go with what works for you and your son.

5. Likes Anaisa, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    amanda that's neat about the see spot run...I also had my daughter circle the words she knew in the sentence then write those down...cool we come from the same page....hugs...

7. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool ideas.. I will have to try that.. I have the books for him to trace( that's where they are at in school). The challenge is getting him to sit and do it lol so I try and sneak it in when he practices his name.

9. Likes Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes that is always a challenge....what worked for me, is that my daughter loved castles and the such...so together we got a big poster board and I am fairly good at some drawings...but I traced and made the castle pop out like 3D, and added things she liked to senery....I also bought stickers - and when she completed a task, you guessed it she got to stick a sticker on it..she also used it as a background for her real toys....I know it gets to be a lot w/ all the things they make and bring home and w/ our house stuff....but it worked for us...also all the stuff she would make and bring home, we would put it on her closet door...when that got filled up, I told her she would have to take something down or pin over something already on the door...that way I could close it and not have it all over the place...of course the fridge ones got moved in there too; anywho...as it filled up we got to put the less wanted stuff into a memory box.....just what worked for us.

11. Likes amanda, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love reading all these posts about how yawl figured out how to help your kids to write and allow the lefties to be lefties!!

13. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hold my hook in my right hand but I manage the yarn tension with my left hand. Does that make me left handed or right handed?

When I'm teaching I always recommend the book 'Encyclopedia of Crochet' Donna Kooler to my students for the simple reason that it has the stitch techniques written specifically for both left handed crocheters and right handed crocheters.

Many of my students hold their hook in their left hand so sometimes it helps if they sit opposite me when I'm teaching.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

15. Likes Anaisa, Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a righty and I hold my hook like a pencil with the yarn between my fingers also. In the beginning I wrapped the yarn around my little finger on my left hand, but I find I crochet way to tight when I wrap it around. I have seen people hold their hook over the top like a knife, I have tried it and just can't do it that way. But what ever works is the best way for everyone.

I have tried to use my left had to do other things such as writing and that ends up being something I can't even read, so much for that idea. Better stick to what works I think.

Happy Stitching,
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Being a Left-handed crocheter

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    We live in a right-handed world and I have never given that an iota of thought because, although I was born left-handed, I do most tasks except for writing soldering, painting all with my left hand. Everything else I do right handed.

I can use both hands when have needed to not realizing how different it would be to use only one hand instead of the other.

I am putting together a short video tutorial for our member Boopie because she is left handed.

I mistakenly thought Oh, easy peasy, I can whip this out in nothing. I was shocked when I started working on it that what I am used to seeing is foreign to me doing the same tasks as a leftie!!!

Which hand do you use?
    I learned to crochet left-handed by a friend who is left-handed as well. Now when I want to learn a new stitch or project I go to youtube and enter in the "search" box either left-handed crochet or Teresa Richardson. She has many, many youtube crochet tutorials for both left and right handed crocheters.

I also do everything left-handed, I ran into a problem about 4 years ago when I tore my left rotator cuff completely in half and required surgery. I couldn't move my arm for 6 weeks. Not moving it for anything! I felt like I was being punished. I couldn't crochet, pick up anything more than a couple of pounds and worse, I had to watch my husband work in my flower garden. So I was forced to do somethings right handed and I really had to think about things and it slowed something down, like cooking, really put a lot of energy in not using my left hand. Anyway I hope this helps!