Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the comments above. I have something to add I do exactly as Twin Faye, Jennlea and Amanda do with a little piece of yarn to mark the first stitch of a round. When I start a project, and for me this has come up making little stuffed animals and fruit, i write down all the round numbers and at the end of each I cross off the number and move my first stitch yarn to the new row. I agree...the seam is unseemly in the ones that join w/slip stitch...Annette

2. Likes amanda, janie mae, jennlee, Maryd. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never use to use markers, and ended up with some weird looking Neck scarves.. the edge looks wavy.. Now I put a lot of markers on my WIP they always look like I am making jewelry until I am done.

4. Likes janie mae, jennlee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are ways to avoid that joining "jog". But I'm wondering if you're doing what I did when I started. It's that beginning stitch, do you crochet in it or not? First, does the pattern call for the stitch after chain 2 (etc.) to go into the first stitch, or the same stitch. Then count your stitches BEFORE you do the join. When you join, you are NOT adding any stitches, you are going into one you already had. So if your count is right, go ahead and join, then be consistent with where you start your next stitch.

One note: I despise that turning chain that leaves a gap in crochet. One thing I learned, is to make 1 chain, elongate it to match your stitch height, and do your first stitch in the SAME joining or starting stitch. The chain stitch is NOT counted as a stitch, and you join in the actual first stitch. Another thing you can do, is one less chain, ie. for DC, only do a ch2 to start. Matches much better. Some methods do still leave a line, so depends on what you're making how you may want to do it.

Before I start following any pattern, I try to decide what "adjustments" I am going to do, to incorporate all those little tricks "you learn along the way". ie. chainless foundation, how I'm doing turning chains, etc. Just be consistent. (Oh, and do count, count, count). On a long item, I leave in markers every 10 or 20 stitches til I'm done. It just keeps me on track, as I like to check my count while DOING the row, so I don't have to frog as much if I make a mistake.

6. Likes janie mae, jennlee liked this post