Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Straight edges in crochet.

I have never mastered straight sides, or edges. I was in the "knitting forum" and they have the same discussion going on about knitting. I learned some great new ideas. But my immediate need is for crochet. I can rarely get a straight, clean edge. It seems I don't know just how to handle the turns. Some end rows with a stitch (dbl crochet) or chain, turn, then start pattern. Others will end row with turn, and start the row with chain or stitch (dbl crochet) in certain stitch or chain.
    Oh, my, I am even confusing myself now. But you gals will know what I am needing. Neat, straight edges. Thank you all jerry

2. Likes teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We were just talking about this the other night in my yarn group and someone suggested this video. Hope it will help you!
    Here's the name of it: Creating rows, turning your work, and keeping the sides even/straight

Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya belspar, Thank you for your post.. This will be helpful to many..;0 Teresa

5. Likes elproct, Belspar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry, it's great to see you here! Here is a website I use often for both crochet and knitting:
    NewStitchaDay.com :: Knitting and Crochet Made Simple
    I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.
    --- Sharon

7. Likes Jheri liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Sharon, TY for the site.. I'm sure it will help many members... Teresa

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Belspar. I went there, watched the video then went down the others and watched a couple of them. I write down their directions by backing up a lot of times in order to get it all. I found them to be helpful and one is new idea I will try.
    I keep forgetting about the videos until I am led there. Wish I could print out their directions. When we hit 85, we need things to slow down. I just realized, that applies to driving also, tee-hee. ;0 Jerry

10. Likes MeerKat, teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jheri, You're very welcome! As for videos, I play them and hit pause as I try to learn, then replay and doublecheck. When I catch on, I go on to the next point where I need directions and play again. It's not your age . . . it's so much at once sometimes. Glad the videos are helping you out! Will look forward to seeing pics of your projects. Take care!

12. Likes teresah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Ladies, That is a great way to view the video.. I always teach step by step in no mater what I am teaching...Teresa <3

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had problems getting straight, or even sort of straight edges for years! This video really helped me Video Tutorial: All About Turning Chains There are lots of other tips and tricks available as well (either photo or video).
    Susie

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Belspar View Post
    We were just talking about this the other night in my yarn group and someone suggested this video. Hope it will help you!
    Here's the name of it: Creating rows, turning your work, and keeping the sides even/straight
    I don't agree with the video. The crochet book I have says to skip 3 chains and insert hook into the 4th chain, not the 3rd chain as she says on the video. Also, if I'm doing a single crochet, double crochet or half double crochet, I always start on the first stitch in the row. Chaining at the end of each row keeps your edges straight.