I see endless patterns for crocheted (and some knitted) shawls. There is also a Ravelry crocheted shawl group, with countless shawls displayed there.

But does anyone even wear shawls regularly? Or do they give up after finding out how awkward they are, i.e., beautiful but not very useful. Most are quite lovely and some are breathtaking, but they are not an ergonomic item of clothing. If you don't clutch it, it falls off. But then you can't carry things because you would then have no free hand left to do things like open doors or shop. Even if you use a shawl pin, still, shawls do get in the way of normal human movement.

As to some Faroese shawls (usually knitted but not necessarily), from wikipedia:

Instead of a more familiar triangular, rectangular or circular shape, Faroese shawls are shaped like butterfly wings. Some have very long ends so they can be tied around the wearer's waist for extra warmth.

Seems that the advantage is not so much the extra warmth but the fact that your hands will be freed up!

I acknowledge that some properly designed shawlettes* can be useful and easy to wear.

I am always on the hunt for truly useful shawl paterns, i.e., the kind that sits on your shoulders and doesn't fall off. Indeed, I am still working on one. One fine day, I hope to post a photo of it here.

*Definition: a shawlette covers shoulders and upper arms, a shawl is deeper and covers full back and often overlaps in front. Here is a pattern for one:

Free Crochet Pattern…Philomena Shawlette! – fiberfluxblog.com