Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    [ATTACH]98[/ATTACH
    Not sure if this will work for me adding a picture?, this is the last pattern I have drawn and crocheted. It took me 3 months to do and has 38 different colors, and fits on a queen size bed. I also made 2 matching pillows.
    Attached Images Attached Images Making Your Own Patterns-004-jpg 
    Last edited by Pat M; 11-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.

2. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pat M,

Very nice work! I love the depth of the colors and design! Thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I've written and published a few patterns myself. Most of the time its because 1) I couldn't find a pattern that I liked or 2) I'd done the pattern so many times and had a few requests to sell the pattern.

Basically I will write out all the notes in my own 'shorthand' while I design any item, whether or not I'm initially planning on selling the pattern. Once I've finished the item, I try to make myself type out the notes so that they are at least legible (although that doesn't always happen).

If I decide to publish the pattern, then it gets written out according to the Yarn Council Standards and I'll work through it again. At this stage, it will go to my testers with no photographs so that they can try to make it. Its at this stage where I find out how much is still in my shorthand and how much actually makes sense!

Once the testing is done, I'll get photographs of the finished item and put it together for publishing.

The toughest part of writing the pattern is writing it so that someone else can actually understand it.

Some of my designs include my Mitered Jacket
    2008 CGOA Pattern contest - Honourable Mention - Mitered Jacket - front | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

my Fisherman sweater
    Blue Denims Sweater - front | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

my Fingerless gloves and other patterns
    View Crochet Patterns by crochetgal on Etsy
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

5. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crochetgal,

I think it is absolutely wonderful that you can create your own patterns! And even have them published. To publish them on your Etsy store, do they have to be approved through the Yarn Council Standards? When you are available, I am interested in finding out more! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    Crochetgal,

I think it is absolutely wonderful that you can create your own patterns! And even have them published. To publish them on your Etsy store, do they have to be approved through the Yarn Council Standards? When you are available, I am interested in finding out more! Thanks!
    There is no approval process for anything sold on Etsy. As long as it conforms to Etsy rules (isn't illegal, etc) it can be sold You don't have to follow any standards at all.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Patti, that is such a cute hat- especially the razorback fringe. I like to free hand hats and shawls, patterns are pesky

Post Thanks / Like
    So cute Patti

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Crochetgal,

Thanks for the info. It is always nice to know in case I ever travel the same road! I am sure there are others in the group that will benefit from the info as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Pat and welcome. That is amazing. What stich do you use when you make your afghans? I’d love to see a photo of some of your work, especially that Looney Tunes one. I am trying my hand at designing one the way you suggest except I am doing it on the computer. I am using a blank worksheet in Excel in which I resized the all the squares so they are equal width and length. Then I chose several letters to represent the colors and I am designing a Halloween scene. Now, thanks to your idea, I may just color code the squares instead of using letters. If I ever get the chance to actually finish the pattern and make the blanket, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Patti
    You just made my day, I got a real good laugh. My husband is a football nut, he watches all the US college and NFL games and of course the Razorbacks, so this Canadian knows what you are talking about. Its adorable. Misty