Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, you are so lucky, wish I could crochet some smaller items that would be useful. I have done hot pads, which are great and useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend suggested that I try to make a crocheted pattern for a bag organizer. You know, like something which us, women can use to readily transfer essential items from one bag to another. I found a pattern online but I customized it by adding my own design and linings to the final pattern, and it came out well, although as expected, it was not as professional-looking Nevertheless, I'm proud of the final product which I was able to make since I'm able to make use of it when I'm changing bags. Here's a link to the pattern and what it looks like: Ravelry: Handy Bag Organizer pattern by Josephine Ramirez

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I was thinking the other day about looking at some towel topper crochet patterns. It would be an easy project to do some quick Christmas gifts for family and friends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I just started trying my hand on making my own patterns so far I have patterns for plants for hanging them, a cozy for my glass case since the magnets don't last very long if you open and close it mulitlpy times which I do, trying to make a pattern for fingerless gloves for my nephew, if I find a stitch I really like I will usually try and make something using that stitch or if a pattern catches my eye and I want to change it for a different look. It can be fun trying to make them and it does take a lot of trial and error but once you catch on it gets easier.

5. Likes yarnmama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I design a lot of doilies. At first it was trial and error, but it helps if you have someone to test it first. Then you can make adjustments as necessary. I now have a dozen patterns with photos (from the testers) that I will eventually put into pdf format for everyone to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All
    Happy Thanksgiving to those in the USA. YOu crafters are just too smart for me. I don't think that I could make my own pattern I can hardly follow the patterns that a in books.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do it all the time! Get some graph paper, squares have to be equal size height/width, drawn any picture on it, color it in, make sure only one color is in any block, make sure every block is colored, get the yarn that is the colors on your paper. Each block represents a single crochet stitch, stop and start colors, get to the end turn work the next row back, turn, ..... keep changing colors as needed. I sometimes as 20-40 yarn bobbins hanging off a blanket or whatever. Make a personalized scarf with letters, very easy, or tape together (on back) 8-20 sheets of graph paper to make a huge blanket. I made all looney tunes, scoobey doo, taz, winnie.......... So easy. Try it on something small, a few different colors, a few rows, figure out what size hook is best for you, and how many graph squares will equal how many crocheted inches. I taught myself this.. I am new to this forum and hope to learn and help others.

9. Likes Theresa L liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW Thanks Pat
    Don't know if I am that co-ortdinated or not. Will have to give it a try after the holidays. Thanks so much. Misty

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Theresa,

I have made a couple of patterns on my own. One was years ago after I got a crochet Santa ornament from a friend. I liked it so much that I wanted a larger one to hang on my wall. I used double stands of yarn and improvised from there. Basically I used a circle for the face, half was pink and the bottom half was white for the beard. Then I added hat and mustache and extended the beard using scallops. I used pom poms for the eyes and nose. It wasn't made exactly as the ornament, but the ornament game me the idea.
    More recently when working on different types of hats I have combined part of two hats, one that had a wide band around the I bottom I changed up the stitches used. I like to take parts of one pattern and put them with a different pattern. I don't map any of it out. I just try it and see if I like it, if I don't then I pull it out and use the yarn else where. I also made a baby bassinet for my daughter for one of her baby dolls years ago without a pattern. I just try to keep the over all shape in mind and go from there. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

Lately I find myself looking at pictures of crochet items on the computer and recreating it without a written pattern. I had found an antique doily like the ones my grandmother made years ago and I had grown up with. I still have them packed up but they are getting rather fragile. I was thrilled to find that picture as it is rather different and a simple pattern, the picture helped me to recreate grandmas doily and I am happy to have it to use in my home again. I was able to enlarge the photo enough to actually count the stitches and chains, which was a huge help.

I hope others will try doing something like this and share with us. I love learning new patterns and find I tire doing the same thing over and over.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I go off on tangents all of the time with afghans. The hat I just made for my grandson is madeup although I found patterns for the nose and ears, just made up the eyes and tail. (it's a hog in case no one can figure it out) Arkansas Razorbacks--go pigs sooie! #3 in the nation Beat LSU #1 tomorrow!
    Attached Images Attached Images Making Your Own Patterns-crochet-004-jpg Making Your Own Patterns-crochet-008-jpg