Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Pat, I don't know if this could be the issue but I used a plastic hook and I had trouble with the yarn splitting. When I changed to a metal one my problem stopped. I don't know if it was a coincidence but I don't use plastic hooks now. You also may be catching the yarn wrong when you reach for the yarn do you wrap it around your hook or just grab the yarn and pull through? I think that it works better for me to wrap the yarn and then pull. I may be all wrong but that is my advice. There are crocheters on here who are much better than me and maybe they have other ideas.

2. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love seeing the wealth of experience shine through here!!!

4. Likes chefmomster2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember if I used a plastic hook or a bamboo one on the project where the splitting occurred; it seemed to me like it was just the type of yarn as I use a plastic hook on other projects and rarely or never have a split problem but I will watch and see what happens as I crochet with which kind. as for wrap or pull, I do each about half, so I will watch out for that and make sure I wrap then pull. Thanks for the advice!

6. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This was crocheting in the hot summer and my hands sweated on the plastic hook and the metal didn't. Seems the metal stayed cooler. This all is my theory and not proven by any science. I also think that the SuperSaver yarn is one of the most difficult yarns to use. We all use it because it is one that we can find and the price is good but I just don't like the texture and feel of it. Once again just my opinion. Oh, I also was crocheting along and the plastic hook snapped in two. That was a surprisre as well. Good luck and I hope that my theory is a little help.

8. Likes chefmomster2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I share your problem with splitting yarn. I think the main culprit is the yarn. Inexpensive yarns like RHSS are a bit rough to the touch. I think it is actually this texture that gets "caught". In my experience very often only a couple of strands of the yarn get "caught" and the yarn pulls through unevenly. From there My only solution is to frog a stitch or two and start again. I use metal hooks and the yarn splits on them all the time.

One thing that definitely helps is to be careful of the tension when you pull through the loops. If I relax my grip just a bit things go MUCH better. Try this and see if it helps.

Using yarn of a little better quality will also do wonders. I currently LOVE Loops and Threads Impeccable. It is soft enough to glide through a bit better and it is not pricey. The colorways are also GORGEOUS! But, don't go too high quality. Besides being expensive thet are so slick that stitches tend to slide right off the hook.

As for your counting problem, it is SO easy to lose count while trying to fix a problem. A nicer yarn that makes your job easier also enables you to count more easily.

Like others here, I am just going by my experience. Be patient, be gentle when pulling through the loops and know that you aren't doing anything wrong! It's just how it goes!

I hope something here helps!
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have yarn split on me. My biggest issue is that I get going to fast and also don't watch how my hook is coming through my yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    that's what's happening; one or two strands pulling through and causing the problem. I'd like to try a better value of yarn but here in Anchorage yarn goes from an okay price to really expensive in a leap. I ordered yarn off the internet once because the color I needed weren't available anywhere but shipping is expensive, so that outs buying a better yarn that way. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Patt View Post
    that's what's happening; one or two strands pulling through and causing the problem. I'd like to try a better value of yarn but here in Anchorage yarn goes from an okay price to really expensive in a leap. I ordered yarn off the internet once because the color I needed weren't available anywhere but shipping is expensive, so that outs buying a better yarn that way. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.
    I apologize. I noticed that you live in Alaska but forgot how very expensive things are there. My brother lived on Kodiak Island and my niece is currently teaching there.

Please try the suggestion to relax your pull through the loops. It works for me even with RHSS.

Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you pull yarn from the centre or the outside? Some yarn, notably wool, has a "grain".
    Pinch the yarn snugly between index finger and thumb. Run the yarn in one direction, and then the other.
    Did it feel slightly "rough" in one direction? That was the "against the grain" direction.

If yarn is wound against the grain, it may feel rough because the fibres are being pulled apart, sort of like brushing your hair from the ends towards the scalp.

Wind the yarn so that it feels "smooth"; or use the yarn from the OPPOSITE end you have been using.

This MAY solve the problem.
    **I got this advice from a pal on the Knitters Paradise site.***
    Last edited by Dsynr; 10-23-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    splitting yarn is part of a crocheters (hookers) life, I use to think that yarn quality played a part but have had yarn split with really high quality yarn also. As the others have mentioned counting is key, and measuring as you go, always check your gauge throughout. One thing that I have found to help with splitting yarn is the crochet hook itself, I find clover hooks to be the best with this crochet hooks : Shop | Joann.com I attached the website to joann's for you. I found the crochet hooks head has a lot to do with splitting, of course different yarns lend themselves to splitting more so than others. So in summation try different hooks paying attention to what type of head on the crochet hook works best with the yarn you are using, the plastic from clover works well me, and so do some of the wood hooks that are out there.